• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gunky eye

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Last night when I checked my rabbits, one of them, Bluebell, had a little bit of 'milky' discharge at the corner of one eye.

I've checked her this morning and it's fine again.

I've done a bit of googling about possible causes, do you think she should see the vet anyway, or just if it happens again?

Can they sometimes just get a bit of gunk, like humans 'sleep dust'? (lol, what I've always called it anyway :oops:)

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Last night when I checked my rabbits, one of them, Bluebell, had a little bit of 'milky' discharge at the corner of one eye.

I've checked her this morning and it's fine again.

I've done a bit of googling about possible causes, do you think she should see the vet anyway, or just if it happens again?

Can they sometimes just get a bit of gunk, like humans 'sleep dust'? (lol, what I've always called it anyway :oops:)

Thanks in advance.

No, they don't usually get sleep that looks like what you've described.

It could be a bit of infection originating from the tear duct. Sometimes the partner rabbit (does Bluebell have a friend?) licks the discharge away and cleans up the eye :)

Often it's impossible to eradicate gunky eye, as it's often caused by elongated tooth roots. However, you can keep it clean by:

1. Getting the vet to flush the tear ducts regularly.

2. Swabbing with cotton wool dampened in cooled boiled water

3. Gently pressing on/massaging the area just under the eye where the tear duct exits to encourage the gunk out.

Hope that helps! x

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes she has two sisters with her, so it's likely then that one of them sorted it for her, this time.

I don't know how quickly tooth roots can grow, but they all had their teeth checked when they had their injections at the end of January. Or maybe the vet can't know just from looking and would need x-rays or something.

Will check her again in the morning, but it's been fine all day x

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes she has two sisters with her, so it's likely then that one of them sorted it for her, this time.

I don't know how quickly tooth roots can grow, but they all had their teeth checked when they had their injections at the end of January. Or maybe the vet can't know just from looking and would need x-rays or something.

Will check her again in the morning, but it's been fine all day x

Yeah, you can't tell what the roots are like from looking at the crowns :D

Tooth roots can be visible on an X-ray, but even if you know they are elongated and pressing on the tear duct, there's nowt you can do about it. Aside flushing the tear duct itself.

How lovely three sisters together :love:

It's always best to get these things checked.

A few years back we noticed Sparky's eye wasn't quite right and it turned out to be conjunctivitis which we treated with eyedrops

How lovely three sisters together :love:

Yes and all getting on so far! It's nice to think that of the 6 'babies', 3 got to stay together.

(Disclaimer: if I ever had more, I would definitely go to a rescue, I'm embarrassed that I didn't do that this time, I'm much more aware now)

Thanks Laura, we do need to register with a new vet, as we moved house recently, so I will mention it x

Yes and all getting on so far! It's nice to think that of the 6 'babies', 3 got to stay together.

(Disclaimer: if I ever had more, I would definitely go to a rescue, I'm embarrassed that I didn't do that this time, I'm much more aware now)

Thanks Laura, we do need to register with a new vet, as we moved house recently, so I will mention it x

:D

Sometimes they can get a tiny bit of gunk in the corner - usually with a bit of fluff mixed in. You might not notice on paired up buns as they groom each other. It's more greenish/brown rather than white though - that's more infection. I'd wipe it away and see if it comes back - if it does that's a vet job :)

Back