• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really Worried about Bertie/UDate Yippee

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I was just going through the gate when I looked up to see an enormous black bird on the roof (bungalow so lowish) It was peering down where they have been digging. Bertie was right there at the time, then someone called on me and I didn't think anymore of it. About an hour later I realised I hadn't seen Bertie which was unusual and started to get anxious. This was 10 am yesterday and there is still no sign of him. Did he get frightened and disappeared down the hole or what? No sign this morning, I put some grass at the entrance but it's still there, his little friend is still here as I was bonding them. Would the bird have taken him? I think it was a Crow or similar, it was huge. This is so stressful!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear this :( How large is Bertie? I would be extremely surprised if a Carrion Crow would take a live rabbit :shock: My guess is that he's hiding somewhere. You say a hole, but is it a tunnel? Can you see down it with a torch?

Yesterday I was just going through the gate when I looked up to see an enormous black bird on the roof (bungalow so lowish) It was peering down where they have been digging. Bertie was right there at the time, then someone called on me and I didn't think anymore of it. About an hour later I realised I hadn't seen Bertie which was unusual and started to get anxious. This was 10 am yesterday and there is still no sign of him. Did he get frightened and disappeared down the hole or what? No sign this morning, I put some grass at the entrance but it's still there, his little friend is still here as I was bonding them. Would the bird have taken him? I think it was a Crow or similar, it was huge. This is so stressful!

Sorry, I am a bit confused. Was Bertie free range in the garden ? If so could he have escaped ?

If he was in an enclosure does it have a roof-ie could a predator get in ?

I have known of a Magpie to attack a Guinea Pig, causing a nasty eye wound. But I have not known of a Blackbird to attack either a Rabbit or a GP. If Bertie was hurt or ill and has gone to ground down a burrow then sadly it may be that he is in real trouble.

Can you attempt to dig the burrow out to see if you can get to him ?

I hope that he'll be OK.

He was free range but there are no gaps or holes just the tunnel Fiji has been digging. There is a hutch over the top so I can't dig the tunnel out unless I get someone to help me move the hutch. He didn't have access to the whole garden just a strip which runs parallel to the fence with a puppy pen fully extended to keep them in, it's about 20' long and joins onto my large shed. The bird was BIG but surely he would have dodged out of the way - he must still be down the tunnel I hope. I should have blocked the hole up - the tunnel runs alongside the bungalow, not the fence side.

Oh dear, it sounds like you may have to move the hutch, with help. You must be so worried, I hope he turns up safe x

Still no sign. I did once have a rabbit which stayed unnder the shed for 2 days and nothing had frightened her! So there is still hope. Bertie is a mediumish bunny so no-one thinks it possible for a bird to carry him off.

I have loads of birds in my garden, big ones too. I have never had a bird attack a rabbit, and I think it's extremely doubtful he was carried off.

Can he get in a shed? I've had rabbits who have wheedled their way into sheds and behind things I would never thought they could get to. Once even sandwiched between two pieces of kitchen worktop (Heavy) and been quite OK.

Sending vibes for Bertie :D

My friend thought it a good idea to call out the RSPCA so while they were on their way I decoded to move some black bags and June went towards the back of a hutch and out of the corner of her eye saw him! He was sitting on a ledge behind the hutch, I probably wouldn't have thought of looking there. He was not down the hole, the RSPCA Inspector said she thought he wouldn't have been down the hole. Phew! He sure is hungry!

My friend thought it a good idea to call out the RSPCA so while they were on their way I decoded to move some black bags and June went towards the back of a hutch and out of the corner of her eye saw him! He was sitting on a ledge behind the hutch, I probably wouldn't have thought of looking there. He was not down the hole, the RSPCA Inspector said she thought he wouldn't have been down the hole. Phew! He sure is hungry!

Glad you have found him xx

Fantastic news Tonibun!

Back