• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for an older doe

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Alfie is missing bunny company :( so I'm looking for an elderly doe who would like to spend her twilight years with a handsome (but slightly grumpy :lol: and very dominant) 8 year old mini lop. I've been looking on rabbit rehome and have been in touch with local rescues but the bunnies are all either really young or old men. If you come across any older ladies, please give me heads up. :wave:

Alfie is missing bunny company :( so I'm looking for an elderly doe who would like to spend her twilight years with a handsome (but slightly grumpy :lol: and very dominant) 8 year old mini lop. I've been looking on rabbit rehome and have been in touch with local rescues but the bunnies are all either really young or old men. If you come across any older ladies, please give me heads up. :wave:

Awww Karen :)

Are you thinking you don't want to perpetuate the cycle of keeping rabbits with asking for an elderly lady? I haven't found age to be a barrier, more the personality being important. Though I'm sure you know that already :)

I shall keep my eye out for one. There always seem to be a load on Preloved and Gumtree x

I am sure there is a site dedicated to older rabbits in rescue. It was linked on here but dont know what it was called (oh so helpful).

The Rabbit Residence are trying to significantly reduce their numbers due to Caroline having to stand down. I dont know if they may have a suitable Doe

http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/single-does.html

To be honest I have never had any problems bonding two older Bucks. In fact I have always found two old boys a lot less hard work to bond than any Buck/Doe combination, regardless of age. So I would not totally rule out an elderly Buck for Alfie.

Ah actually I've just looked and it seems like they just take on older, special needs buns. Bless them, what a wonderful idea. Xx

......... you called ? :D

Haha, Alfie will send you over a dating questionnaire later...... ;)

Mighty Max, yep, I'm thinking older lady mainly because of the perpetual cycle really. Alfie is still quite a lively bunny for his age so I don't think he'd be too upset with a younger lady though.

Lol tulsi, I recall seeing something about a site for older bunnies too but I can't find it either, hence this thread. :lol:

Jane, I was wondering about 2 bucks as I know plenty of people haven't had problems. It's going back a few years now but Alfie was a complete :censored: when he was being bonded with Lola though and, a few yrs before that, we tried to add another male to him and Bubbles & that didn't work either. He's still so lively; if he was a slow, doddery old chap I actually think he would be much easier to bond with either sex. Rabbit Residence is a reasonable distance from me though, I'll go have a look.

Did you find one Karen?

Not yet, still looking. :( I've seen quite a few elderly bucks (typical eh!) but I seriously doubt whether Alfie would tolerate another male. I'm wondering if older does are probably harder to find in part because of the risks of uterine cancer.......

I have Rosie a ginger Lionhead, spayed. She is 8 and because she thinks the garden is all hers doesn't want to share it. I don't like seeing her alone but I expect I am too far away. She has never been ill all the 5 years she has been here. Perfect really, litter trained and handleable.

Were you not tempted by this lovely Rex girlie?

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=39521

I'd seen her a while ago :love: but it said she was reserved so I didn't enquire; maybe I should have.

I have Rosie a ginger Lionhead, spayed. She is 8 and because she thinks the garden is all hers doesn't want to share it. I don't like seeing her alone but I expect I am too far away. She has never been ill all the 5 years she has been here. Perfect really, litter trained and handleable.

Aww bless, Rosie sounds lovely but yes it would be too far sadly.

BUT, I might have some good news (depending on what Alfie thinks of course). The vet has a rabbit who lost her partner a little while ago & she asked if I wanted to try her with Alfie. It means I have to bond myself, which I'm already dreading lol, but hopefully Alfie has mellowed with age and it's very straightforward.

I'd seen her a while ago :love: but it said she was reserved so I didn't enquire; maybe I should have.

Aww bless, Rosie sounds lovely but yes it would be too far sadly.

BUT, I might have some good news (depending on what Alfie thinks of course). The vet has a rabbit who lost her partner a little while ago & she asked if I wanted to try her with Alfie. It means I have to bond myself, which I'm already dreading lol, but hopefully Alfie has mellowed with age and it's very straightforward.

It kind of sounds right, doesn't it? Worth a shot!

I would help you with bonding if I were nearer .. :D

I'm hoping it's a sign that it was meant to be and it will be love at first sight. :love:

I wish you lived closer too....... :lol::lol:

Back