• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you weatherproof your runs?

Casco

Mama Doe
I currently have a tarp over mine, held down by a combination of carabiner hooks and bungee cords with a chunky piece of wood across the top to try to keep the tarp from blowing upwards. I think my main problem is that I can't tie down the tarp at one side as the run is only a couple of inches away from a playhouse so I can't access that side. The tarp lifts up a bit, and catches on the sharp edges of the mesh which then makes holes in the tarp and rain gets through!

Basically I need a better solution so I'm looking for ideas :D The roof of the run is removeable (in 3 sections) and the run itself is only 3 sided with the hutch making up the 4th side - I'm not sure if corrugated plastic would be a better option or if that's just more likely to get caught by the wind. What do you all do?

(Yes I realise we are coming up to summer but it's more like winter here still with snow & wind today which makes me realise I need to work on the before real winter comes back!)

Hi Casco, I can sympathise, I have a similar set up currently with tarp, bungee cords and wood. It's so windy here and it is an ongoing battle to keep it all on. It definitely needs to be tied down really tight. I'm guessing you are unable to move the run a little further away from the playhouse (or you probably would have already) ;).

Not too sure what else you could do. I'm thinking corrugated plastic probably would get caught by the wind, unless it was really secure.

Hopefully someone will be along with some ideas, I'll come back if I think of anything x

Oh btw I meant to say, I did buy some clear shower curtain liners with eyelets and some hooks. I've attached it to the mesh around the sides of the run (leaving a good size air gap all the way round) and pegged under the run, but the rabbits can't get at it, works really well. Then the tarpaulin is draped over the top (I have a hutch with run underneath if you can imagine.) I am upgrading though, hth x

I'm guessing you are unable to move the run a little further away from the playhouse (or you probably would have already) ;).

The run is right next to grass on the other side so I don't want to risk an escape attempt - fits nicely on the slabs between the playhouse and the lawn but unfortunately doesn't leave much space. I am considering putting an extra row of slabs down so I can move the hutch and run over a bit, but the idea of emptying & converting my shed is tempting too in which case the run would be moved anyway to attach to the shed.

I love how I have all these great ideas but lack the ability to actually know how to do the work :lol:

You can see how dry it is under there.... Wooden frame with roofing sheets then I used clear PVC material to wrap around leaving air gaps at the top and bottom. The same PVC material as a weather sheet on the front of the play house.

Floki's house by Jon Morgan, on Flickr

Is your run anchored into the ground jonm? Do the roofing sheets stand up to high winds ok? We seem to have had a lot of high winds recently so I'm paranoid about that!

Yey go for the shed idea sooooo much easier and great in awful weather.

Would love to do the shed but I'm not sure if I could manage - I did make the run but I am dreadful at sawing so I had the wood cut to size for me, I would insulate the shed if I go for that so lining it with plywood will be a nightmare for me and my limited ability lol. I only started fostering in February so missed the worst of the winter, I am dreading the thought of a hutch and run in winter - sheds seem so much easier all round.

Oh yes I get what you mean about the run, better to have it on the slabs so they can't dig out. My run is currently on grass, but we have put a base on the bottom, as we didn't have slabs. Basically, it has 3 pressure treated bearers, plywood and then vinyl and the run sits on top. With all these measures I'm managing to keep it weather proof.

However, we are in the process of getting a shed sorted, large enough for us to be able to sit in too and much better in bad weather. I've seen some really amazing shed / run set ups on here for ideas, if you decide to get one.

Good luck x

We have a sloped roof made of corotherm
WP_20160108_002_zpsl8dvh8gm.jpg

Is your run anchored into the ground jonm? Do the roofing sheets stand up to high winds ok? We seem to have had a lot of high winds recently so I'm paranoid about that!

Nope, but it is attached to the shed on one side, the weight is plenty to keep it in place..

That looks good redfraggle, haven't heard of corotherm will look into that.

Nope, but it is attached to the shed on one side, the weight is plenty to keep it in place..

That would make it easier for me then! The run is currently just attached to the hutch, not anchored & I'd prefer to keep it like that.

Back