• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timer feeders?

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
As it’s getting warmer, and my OH and I are hoping to improve our fitness levels, we’re thinking about getting into hill walking more. As the days are getting longer, I’m just conscious that this might keep us out the house later than usual. I feed out bunnies when I get home from work around 5.30-6pm (although they don’t really take notice until 8pm), and I don’t want to mess with their routine.

Have any of you ever used feeders that work on a timer? Any recommendations?

I've not used them though my folks have one for the hedgehogs:shock: I'd be tempted to adjust their routine slowly though & feed them personally, my thinking being you can tell a lot about how enthusiastic bunnies are at feeding time.

I've not used them though my folks have one for the hedgehogs:shock: I'd be tempted to adjust their routine slowly though & feed them personally, my thinking being you can tell a lot about how enthusiastic bunnies are at feeding time.

I agree :)

I throw the entire day's pellets in the hay boxes, mix it up and leave the bunnies to forage. It keeps them busy, gets them eating lots of lovely hay and means I only feed once a day. I don't really like bowls - too easy for them!

I'd still get to see how enthusiastic they are - I feed them twice a day, half their pellets first thing, and half their pellets in the evening - the morning is the real one to watch, as they act like they haven't been fed in weeks. When I get home in the evening they're usually still snoozing and will graze on the pellets throughout the evening, so I don't learn as much from that, I only watch to check that both bunnies eat from the bowl at some point in the evening (but if they had finished the pellets when we did get home, I can also feed them their fresh greens at that time to monitor them).

As it’s getting warmer, and my OH and I are hoping to improve our fitness levels, we’re thinking about getting into hill walking more. As the days are getting longer, I’m just conscious that this might keep us out the house later than usual. I feed out bunnies when I get home from work around 5.30-6pm (although they don’t really take notice until 8pm), and I don’t want to mess with their routine.

Have any of you ever used feeders that work on a timer? Any recommendations?

Yeah, I've often used cat feeders.

Very reliable, and work well. Though with a strong bunny, they can overturn them and bash them to pieces until the compartments pop open at any time :shock:

Yeah, I've often used cat feeders.

Very reliable, and work well. Though with a strong bunny, they can overturn them and bash them to pieces until the compartments pop open at any time :shock:

This is what I was worried about! I don't think they're stronger than a dog would be, but they'll treat it as more of a puzzle... suppose I can only try. Thanks!

This is what I was worried about! I don't think they're stronger than a dog would be, but they'll treat it as more of a puzzle... suppose I can only try. Thanks!

I've only one tarzan bunny strong enough to manhandle the feeders. The others patiently wait by the side for the doors to pop open :D

Mine don't have a routine, they get fed when I can feed them! So long as it's daily of course. This is sometimes at funny times like 4am but mostly it's in the morning at 6.30am :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could look at Koicarp feeders - they are designed to drop pellets into water below, so it might work fixed on the wall and dropping pellets to the floor to resolve the bunny destroying it issue :)

You could look at Koicarp feeders - they are designed to drop pellets into water below, so it might work fixed on the wall and dropping pellets to the floor to resolve the bunny destroying it issue :)
Haha sorry I have a very funny image of your rabbits sitting next to this feeder waiting for the next pellet to drop - all day long 😉

Haha sorry I have a very funny image of your rabbits sitting next to this feeder waiting for the next pellet to drop - all day long 😉

That's be hilarious! Battle for the pellets :D

I'll try the timer feeder, and if it doesn't work, I'll look at something I can mount. Thanks

i love pellet time, mine get fed at 8 at night and if im 5 mins late they start running all the way round the hutch and back until pellets come ( its a big U shape 18ft long) the noise is horrendous. i would be tempted to extend the time later everyday and feed when i was in i think. mine would destroy a feeder between them as a puzzle.

Back