• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my baby pepe is really ill GI stasis

:cry::( pepe, one of the babies (6 mths) wasnt his chirpy self and only nibbled on bits of hay yesterday, he wouldnt come out the hutch either. Today he wouldnt take any food, not even coriander and he started belly pressing the floor with pain. i gave him metacam and that didnt really help and massaged his belly which felt a bit swollen, he hadnt pooed for the 2 hours either. this all happened so fast within 2 hours. while i was on the phone to the vet he passed a big load of thick mucousy stuff. took him the vets and while she was taking his temp he passed more mucous. vets gave him buprevet, emeprid and recover food. i really really hope he starts eating and pooing soon. does anyone know if i have been quick enough with the vets and if he has a good chance of pulling through. i really hope so xx any advice or thoughts please

:cry::( pepe, one of the babies (6 mths) wasnt his chirpy self and only nibbled on bits of hay yesterday, he wouldnt come out the hutch either. Today he wouldnt take any food, not even coriander and he started belly pressing the floor with pain. i gave him metacam and that didnt really help and massaged his belly which felt a bit swollen, he hadnt pooed for the 2 hours either. this all happened so fast within 2 hours. while i was on the phone to the vet he passed a big load of thick mucousy stuff. took him the vets and while she was taking his temp he passed more mucous. vets gave him buprevet, emeprid and recover food. i really really hope he starts eating and pooing soon. does anyone know if i have been quick enough with the vets and if he has a good chance of pulling through. i really hope so xx any advice or thoughts please

I'm really sorry to hear about pepe :(

I am sure you're doing your absolutely best for pepe, and I'm willing him to pull through :wave:

Buprenorphine , the active ingredient in the analgesic Bupravet, can make rabbits drowsy, so bear that in mind if he's not over jolly tonight.

How often did the vet advise syringe feeding?

she said keep trying him but dont force, every half hour if he is refusing it but every 1-2 hours if he eats it. she said the bupravet would do that and that it might be best to leave him for an hour once home to de-stress and have a nap before trying the food. the vet was great really, she is hoping for him to be eating without help by morning, i am too. if he wont take the food himself how can the emeprid work to make him poo if there is nothing there. i really dont know what to do

she said keep trying him but dont force, every half hour if he is refusing it but every 1-2 hours if he eats it. she said the bupravet would do that and that it might be best to leave him for an hour once home to de-stress and have a nap before trying the food. the vet was great really, she is hoping for him to be eating without help by morning, i am too. if he wont take the food himself how can the emeprid work to make him poo if there is nothing there. i really dont know what to do

Every half hour is tough on you and him, in my opinion.

I think every couple of hours, and two/three times overnight?

Sending loads of vibes for him, and you xx

Sending lots of vibes. Our two males have had several bouts of stasis and have always come through. The worst one we were syringe feeding for about a week!

We normally syringe feed them every 2 to 4 hours. Sometimes they do struggle but once they have taken some in they start to chew it and then the rest of the syringe feed goes in without much difficulty.

You could also try mixing some of the food and offering in a small bowl and he may lick at it and eat it.

ive tried it on a little tub lid and hes not touching it, i didnt really want to have to do it with the syringe because he finds it stressful even to take metacam. hes nudging my hand away angrily, hes not weak or floppy so he is going to fight me with the syringe. i dont know why he isnt eating, its not that hes too week and i thought the pain meds would be working by now. what if a syringe feed him and it makes him worse. i keep thinking what if he knows best and hes not eating for a reason. i dont know, im just not wanting to do the wrong thing.

Oh bless! I think you are doing the right thing. You shouldn't force, just keep trying. Hope things improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive tried it on a little tub lid and hes not touching it, i didnt really want to have to do it with the syringe because he finds it stressful even to take metacam. hes nudging my hand away angrily, hes not weak or floppy so he is going to fight me with the syringe. i dont know why he isnt eating, its not that hes too week and i thought the pain meds would be working by now. what if a syringe feed him and it makes him worse. i keep thinking what if he knows best and hes not eating for a reason. i dont know, im just not wanting to do the wrong thing.

Can you perhaps add in a bit of Ella's Kitchen baby food to make the mixture irresistible? May not work, but worth a try. I often mix critical care with "Bananas and Apples", and it's well received.

Hope you get some sleep x

thats made me laugh mighty max because i bought ellas kitchen 4mths apple and carrot parsnip and apple from sainsburys next to the vet incase i needed to sweeten it. ive already added a small amount without luck but will try to add a bit more. im not going to sleep id rather be able to check him. i think he might be mad a me for keep offering him food all the time. how long is it for the gut stimulant to work do you think.

How is Pepe this morning? I hope you have managed to get some food into him overnight.

Btw different people may have different ideas about"forcing" recovery food. When I have had to do it with my rabbits I always have to syringe as they won't take it from a bowl etc. Also I can't really say they they ever take it "by choice". Sometimes I think you have to be a bit mean for their own good :) Also, is he drinking? Fluids are important in managing GI Stasis.

Sending more vibes for him.

How is Pepe this morning? I hope you have managed to get some food into him overnight.

Btw different people may have different ideas about"forcing" recovery food. When I have had to do it with my rabbits I always have to syringe as they won't take it from a bowl etc. Also I can't really say they they ever take it "by choice". Sometimes I think you have to be a bit mean for their own good :) Also, is he drinking? Fluids are important in managing GI Stasis.

Sending more vibes for him.

Omi has given some good advice here, especially about the importance of fluids. As long as a Vet has examined the Rabbit to rule out any chance of a full obstruction (which would mean syringe feeds should NOT be given and surgery would be needed) then careful syringe feeds, little and often, are important. I am sure that you are doing all you can for Pepe. How is he doing this morning ?

i ended up forcing with the syringe at 4am because i was worried sick about him. I was giving him the water by syringe anyway. i made such a mess with it, it was everywhere but after the first one he started letting me and chewing. he has took little bit of coriander his self at 7.30am and i have literally just been jumping up and down with joy because he his munching hay himself. I know hes not out of the woods because he hasnt done any poos from what i can see but at least it is something. he is moving a lot better too. Its so hard when there is 4 buns together. thanks for the brill advice everyone i dont think i would have been has quick about things if it wasnt for RU. forgot to say he drunk a bit himself too.

Back