• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny teeth chattering

aubrey92

New Kit
Hi I have yet another question about my bunny Aubrey. He is doing so much better after having snuffles, he's back to his normal energetic and mischievous self. He is still on his medication (sulfatrim & metacam) as his breathing isn't back to 100% just yet and he doesn't need his back tooth filing down as the vet says it is fine now.

But the ony problem is he sometimes chatters his teeth which he never did before he got poorly and I have read it can be cause they are in pain. I thought the medication he is on means he shouldn't be in any pain? He is on a 5kg dose of metacam once a day.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Hi I have yet another question about my bunny Aubrey. He is doing so much better after having snuffles, he's back to his normal energetic and mischievous self. He is still on his medication (sulfatrim & metacam) as his breathing isn't back to 100% just yet and he doesn't need his back tooth filing down as the vet says it is fine now.

But the ony problem is he sometimes chatters his teeth which he never did before he got poorly and I have read it can be cause they are in pain. I thought the medication he is on means he shouldn't be in any pain? He is on a 5kg dose of metacam once a day.

Any advice is appreciated :)

A rabbit's teeth chattering can have several meanings ... From House Rabbit Society ..

Teeth grinding (or purring): This is a sign of contentment and happiness. It is a very light grinding sound and, when placing your hand on the side of her face, it will feel like a vibration from the molars. The eyes are often half closed.

Teeth chattering or crunching: This is much louder than teeth grinding and indicates pain. The rabbit often sits in a hunched up position with ears pressed against his body.

I have also found that bunnies with misaligned molars can sometimes 'grind' to adjust the facets of the teeth to make them easier to wear down :)

I hope that helps!

A rabbit's teeth chattering can have several meanings ... From House Rabbit Society ..

Teeth grinding (or purring): This is a sign of contentment and happiness. It is a very light grinding sound and, when placing your hand on the side of her face, it will feel like a vibration from the molars. The eyes are often half closed.

Teeth chattering or crunching: This is much louder than teeth grinding and indicates pain. The rabbit often sits in a hunched up position with ears pressed against his body.

I have also found that bunnies with misaligned molars can sometimes 'grind' to adjust the facets of the teeth to make them easier to wear down :)

I hope that helps!

Thank you for your reply, he isn't hunched or anything when he chatters his teeth, I'm just worried because he never did it before. Although, now he is better he has become so much nicer and needier than before. He used to be quite aggressive but now he always wants to be cuddled and stroked and jumps all over me. So hopefully he is just very content lol. Thanks for your advice :)

Thank you for your reply, he isn't hunched or anything when he chatters his teeth, I'm just worried because he never did it before. Although, now he is better he has become so much nicer and needier than before. He used to be quite aggressive but now he always wants to be cuddled and stroked and jumps all over me. So hopefully he is just very content lol. Thanks for your advice :)

Yes, I hope so :D

Keep an eye on his eating, for dental reasons. Just in case there's something erupting there and he's trying to deal with it himself ... But on the whole I really hope he is becoming more affectionate towards you :love:

Two vets told me he really needs his tooth doing and that's why he's being Weak an not moving much and not eating. But he is a big bunny and has so much energy and a big appetite I knew it wasn't because of his tooth. He is eating hay like crazy now he is nearly over snuffles lol.

We have always had a quite good bond. He doesn't anybody in my room apart from me or he attacks their feet. I thought after having to syringe him medication and food all the time he was going to hate me when felt better (like I said he can be very aggressive with biting and smacking lol) but he his the complete opposite, he is so needy and always wanting to be cuddled. So strange after 2 years of a dominant aggressive bunny lol

Back