• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed please - dental?

Bunny Magoo

Warren Scout
Hi, just after some advice! Will try and keep it brief...so Daisy my mini - lop a couple of weeks ago started not wanting all her pellets on and off and wasn't eating all her caetotrophs. I knew it wasn't over feeding as she only has a eggcup a day of pellets. Took her to the vets who checked her over and could see a small spur. Sent us away with some metacam with the hope the meds might help with the pain and that she'd eat more hay and the spur would grind down itself. She seemed to do really well with no metacam, no pellets or caetotrophs left over the last few days. Then this morning found a few piles of caetotrophs and she only wanted about half her pellets (seemed to be squinting as though she was in pain when eating them) also seemed a bit quiet! Not the same bunny who was happy flopping last night and seemed to be recovering!
What do people think? Book another vet appointment asap as potential dental still needed?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I think another vet trip would be a great idea. Better to see what is happening. Good luck

I agree. There is clearly something going on and if she does need a Dental it's far better to get it done before she stops eating altogether. I'd get the Vet to have a good check of her mandible for any odd lumps and also to examine in her ear canals. Ear pain can cause a Rabbit to go off pellets as well as other subtle changes in behaviour. Lops are more prone to ear problems so I always take that into account. Hopefully Daisy's will be fine.

Good luck at the Vets xx

Thanks for the advice about the ears and mandible Jane as I didn't know that, she's booked in for 6 pm. xx

Good luck at the vets. My boy bunny, Toffee, has to have regular dentals, he too is a dwarf lop. Once he starts going off his hay, I know it's time :( he usually manages to last about 8 weeks, but since I started giving him Oxbow Orchard Grass Hay, he's lasting a bit longer thank goodness. Hope your girlie gets on ok x

Hi, just after some advice! Will try and keep it brief...so Daisy my mini - lop a couple of weeks ago started not wanting all her pellets on and off and wasn't eating all her caetotrophs. I knew it wasn't over feeding as she only has a eggcup a day of pellets. Took her to the vets who checked her over and could see a small spur. Sent us away with some metacam with the hope the meds might help with the pain and that she'd eat more hay and the spur would grind down itself. She seemed to do really well with no metacam, no pellets or caetotrophs left over the last few days. Then this morning found a few piles of caetotrophs and she only wanted about half her pellets (seemed to be squinting as though she was in pain when eating them) also seemed a bit quiet! Not the same bunny who was happy flopping last night and seemed to be recovering!
What do people think? Book another vet appointment asap as potential dental still needed?

I always think it's the best idea to exclude dental issues from the equation as soon as possible, because there are several other things that can cause what you describe. But they would be diagnostics to move onto if the dental didn't fix things.

I hope the vet can help :thumb:

So Daisy is booked in for a dental tomorrow and they'll xray beforehand , really hope this sorts her out and it isn't anything more sinister. I hadn't noticed a decline in her hay consumption so no had indication that she might have spurs. She's currently munching on hay though! Mr Magoo will be going with her tomorrow so she'll have company and be there when she wakes up! Although I'm a bit worried about how he'll be at the vets as when he went away to be bonded he got home sick and refused to eat! Fingers crossed all will go well tomorrow.

So Daisy is booked in for a dental tomorrow and they'll xray beforehand , really hope this sorts her out and it isn't anything more sinister. I hadn't noticed a decline in her hay consumption so no had indication that she might have spurs. She's currently munching on hay though! Mr Magoo will be going with her tomorrow so she'll have company and be there when she wakes up! Although I'm a bit worried about how he'll be at the vets as when he went away to be bonded he got home sick and refused to eat! Fingers crossed all will go well tomorrow.

I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow - all three of you :wave:

I hope it sorts the problem x

So both are back from the vets. Daisy seems very sad 😩 The vet said the spurs were worse than he initially thought but thinks this will sort her out. I feel terrible as her hay intake hadn't seemed to of declined. She's not wanting to eat anything yet. Although she apparently had a little graze at the vet's. Really hope she starts eating and pooping soon. Have rabbit recovery on hand if need be. We have metacam to give her too although worried about how we'll get her to take it if she's not eating as she won't let us pick her up and we normally get her meds in her by putting it on a bit of veg.

So both are back from the vets. Daisy seems very sad 😩 The vet said the spurs were worse than he initially thought but thinks this will sort her out. I feel terrible as her hay intake hadn't seemed to of declined. She's not wanting to eat anything yet. Although she apparently had a little graze at the vet's. Really hope she starts eating and pooping soon. Have rabbit recovery on hand if need be. We have metacam to give her too although worried about how we'll get her to take it if she's not eating as she won't let us pick her up and we normally get her meds in her by putting it on a bit of veg.

Oh the little sweetie, I really hope she comes round to eating and feeling better again soon :wave:

What a good thing you were on the ball and took her in for her dental. Is there nothing that will tempt her? Coriander? Rose leaves and fresh picked grass?

Bless :love:

Tried all her favourite things, but can't tempt her with anything. She's such a nervous and sensitive soul at the best of times, so this must have been traumatising for her. 😢

Glad she's back ok. I'm sure she'll soon start eating ok. It takes Toffee a little while to get back to normal. Herbs, and a little bit of grated carrot or Apple mixed into a few nuggets might help. Sending eating and pooping vibes your little buns way xxxx

hope your little buns ok soon, when mine had their GA the only thing to get them eating was jumbo oats and i mixed the metacam in with it. just a thought to try, they seem to love it. x

Tried all her favourite things, but can't tempt her with anything. She's such a nervous and sensitive soul at the best of times, so this must have been traumatising for her. 😢

It will most likely be stressful for her, but perhaps a syringe or two of baby food? It would be a shame not to get her eating asap and wearing those little teeth down again :)

Tried all her favourite things, but can't tempt her with anything. She's such a nervous and sensitive soul at the best of times, so this must have been traumatising for her. ��

Is Daisy feeling brighter this morning ?

Is Daisy feeling brighter this morning ?
A little thank-you. She seemed a bit happier to have a bit of an explore. We managed to get her meds and a small amount of rabbit recovery in her last night and this morning, but not without a lot of struggle which is clearly distressing for her. She's nibbled a small amount of hay and passed some poo,albeit small in size and quantity. Really need to her to start eating properly as I'm worried about stasis and her teeth again. Mr Magoo is a bit off aswell and didn't want pellets this morning (most unlike him!).[emoji20]

Back