• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hiro's thread - Total Ear Canal Ablation. UPDATE

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Hi
Just waiting for my other half to get home to work so we can take Hiro to the vets. Again :(
He is being treated for E Cuniculi but went into stasis the other day. He seemed OK for a few days but is now not eating again.
Is it the E Cuniculi causing this? His medication?
His right eye also seems to be half close and his head tilt also looks a little worse too.
This will be his second course of Panacur since February. He had one but the clinical symptoms came back back a month or so later, we are 13 days in on this course.

Last edited:
I am sorry I was not online when you posted this thread. I hope that the Emergency Vet has been able to help Hiro and that he is feeling a bit better by now ?

Hi
Just waiting for my other half to get home to work so we can take Hiro to the vets. Again :(
He is being treated for E Cuniculi but went into stasis the other day. He seemed OK for a few days but is now not eating again.
Is it the E Cuniculi causing this? His medication?
His right eye also seems to be half close and his head tilt also looks a little worse too.
This will be his second course of Panacur since February. He had one but the clinical symptoms came back back a month or so later, we are 13 days in on this course.

How are things looking today?

Thinking of you xx

So we took him to our vets and they tried to get a blood sample to see if there is something else going on but they couldn't get any blood from him so they gave him another gut stimulant and some more pain relief and sent him home.
Something didn't feel right in my gut so I decided to get in touch with Molly Varga. She said that she could fit him in today and we are now on our way home. Hiro will be staying in hospital for a few days.
She doesn't think that it is EC at all. She seems to think that it's possibly a middle ear infection and that he maybe has an absess or the like behind his eye.
She's going to get him eating, drinking and pooping properly and she's going to take some bloods. After that he's having a 3d scan and we are skipping straight to a ct scan to see what's going on. He will probably need an operation which involves going in through the side of the brain or under his eye.
I don't really understand at the moment, it's all a bit of a blur and I'm not thinking straight but I just thought I'd update you on what's going on.
I'm gutted :(

So we took him to our vets and they tried to get a blood sample to see if there is something else going on but they couldn't get any blood from him so they gave him another gut stimulant and some more pain relief and sent him home.
Something didn't feel right in my gut so I decided to get in touch with Molly Varga. She said that she could fit him in today and we are now on our way home. Hiro will be staying in hospital for a few days.
She doesn't think that it is EC at all. She seems to think that it's possibly a middle ear infection and that he maybe has an absess or the like behind his eye.
She's going to get him eating, drinking and pooping properly and she's going to take some bloods. After that he's having a 3d scan and we are skipping straight to a ct scan to see what's going on. He will probably need an operation which involves going in through the side of the brain or under his eye.
I don't really understand at the moment, it's all a bit of a blur and I'm not thinking straight but I just thought I'd update you on what's going on.

Poor lad :cry:

I am sure that Molly will do all she can for him. I really hope he can pull through xx

I feel awful. He's been dealing with this for 2 months and we've been treating him for EC. I feel feel a bit better knowing that he's in safe hands but I'm so scared that I'm going to lose him. It was horrible leaving him behind.
We haven't got a car either so we can't even really visit him. We got a taxi there and back from Stoke! Expensive day but he's worth every single penny.

I feel awful. He's been dealing with this for 2 months and we've been treating him for EC. I feel feel a bit better knowing that he's in safe hands but I'm so scared that I'm going to lose him. It was horrible leaving him behind.
We haven't got a car either so we can't even really visit him. We got a taxi there and back from Stoke! Expensive day but he's worth every single penny.

You were not to know that the problem may not be EC. Both EC and middle ear disease can present in very similar ways. I expect Molly will keep you regularly updated about how Hiro is doing and what she feels may be best to do once he is more stable.

Sending millions of vibes for him xx

Thank you for posting an update. I am really sorry to hear this. You sound like you've been everywhere trying to get the best treatment. I really really hope and pray that Molly can get to the root of the issue.

Wishing you loads of vibes xx

Just seeing this now and sending all possible healing vibes for ((((((((((((((Hiro)))))))))))). xxxxxxx

Thank you guys.
I called last night and it seemed like he had settled in OK.
We've just a call off Rutland House to let us know that Pet Plan have approved our direct claim request which is a relief. They are ringing back in a little while to let me know how Hiro is getting along.

Thank you guys.
I called last night and it seemed like he had settled in OK.
We've just a call off Rutland House to let us know that Pet Plan have approved our direct claim request which is a relief. They are ringing back in a little while to let me know how Hiro is getting along.

I am glad that Pet Plan are being co-operative and I hope that Hiro is doing OK xx

Back