• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help bonding my rabbits with ME!

Dharma

New Kit
I have had my rabbits for about 6 months and they still don't let me pet them. They sometimes let me pet them when I hold a piece of fruit in my hand but that is it. Bella is very curious and she will hop up an my lap and on my bed but not for pets. Rocky has never forgiven me for taking him to the vet and then syringe feeding him for a week after that for GI stasis.

I took a bunny tune up class at my local rabbit rescue (House Rabbit Society) and she says I need to just start picking them up 3 times a day so that they get "comfortable" with it so that trimming their nails and checking their health isn't so traumatic. I worry that this will break whatever trust we do have. The women that runs the rescue also says that if I enter their pen (territory) that they will stop using the litter box, which they are very good about using. If I can't go in their pen, then I will just be chasing them around my room to do these daily pick-up's, which doesn't seem like a good idea either.

Is this just going to be my bunnies personality? If I must, I will accept them as they are but I would sure love to have a companion rabbit to pet. All other rabbits I've had loved to be pet!

Does anyone have any tips? My bunnies are a year old now, spayed and neutered. Lionshead breed. A very bonded pair! It's like I'm just the 3rd wheel that they tolerate because I feed them and give them treats but that I can't be part of the club, lol!

I have had my pair for about 8 months now and they still don't let me touch them. To be honest I think that's just how some rabbits are, although certain factors can make them worse. My two are rescues which I think may be part of the reason why they don't like human contact, them I'm guessing that regardless of this they still wouldn't enjoy being touched. My little man on the other hand, has only been with me for 4 months and he is also a rescue, but he absolutely loves cuddles and is a real mummy's boy. So yeah, I think a lot of it is due to personality and although you should be able to get a bond with them so they trust you, you may never be able to pet them besides when you have already picked them up to clip their nails and things like that.

I did however find that sitting on the floor ignoring them until they came up to me and then passing them a treat (but make sure you move slowly and do NOT try to pet them still) made my pair trust me more and I very rarely pick them up either which also helps, but obviously I do pick them up if necessary. Have you tried this before?

I have had my pair for about 8 months now and they still don't let me touch them. To be honest I think that's just how some rabbits are, although certain factors can make them worse. My two are rescues which I think may be part of the reason why they don't like human contact, them I'm guessing that regardless of this they still wouldn't enjoy being touched. My little man on the other hand, has only been with me for 4 months and he is also a rescue, but he absolutely loves cuddles and is a real mummy's boy. So yeah, I think a lot of it is due to personality and although you should be able to get a bond with them so they trust you, you may never be able to pet them besides when you have already picked them up to clip their nails and things like that.

I did however find that sitting on the floor ignoring them until they came up to me and then passing them a treat (but make sure you move slowly and do NOT try to pet them still) made my pair trust me more and I very rarely pick them up either which also helps, but obviously I do pick them up if necessary. Have you tried this before?

Agree. Non of my rabbits have been 'snuggle buns' as such. My first 2, many years ago, were bought as babies and we tried handling them but they always hated it. I am not entirely convinced handling always makes a great deal of difference. I am quite content to stroke them a ground level and even then, some have let me do it and some haven't :roll: I think picking them up 3 times a day would make them distrust you personally, fearful that they are routinely going to be swept up off the ground! If they are secure in the knowledge that this wont happen, perhaps that will make them more confident around you :)

Also, I am not at all convinced that they will stop using the litter tray if you go into their territory? That sounds a bit of an odd comment to me :? I routinely go into my rabbits kennel/run and have no such problems!

I think you have been lucky with your previous rabbits :) In my experience, rabbits like that are the exception rather than the rule! And no matter, whether they welcome my attention or not, I have always enjoyed their unique characters and loved them just the same :love:

Back