• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever feel.....

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Please don't hate me for this RU :oops:

.........that your rabbits are taking over your life, and not in a good way?!

Granted I have just moved house with my lot, and have been trying to bond them as a quad so it was never going to be an easy time. But my life and my mind is taken over by them at the moment. I can't go out for long periods and Im constantly worried about them in one way if another.

To top it off my old landlord has just announced that he is keeping back €100 from my deposit for a new coffee table and skirting boards which the buns nibbled :roll: On top of that I've just spent €50 on Mimi for things to make her more comfortable now she's arthritic. Then there was a vet visit with Timmy this morning, aswell as the usual costs as they have bloody expensive taste in hay!

It used to be me and ex looked after them together, but now I do most of it on my own. He still chips in for hay, litter etc but their general care, cleaning and responsibility is all on me. Current OH us sweet with them and helps, but I can't demand he clean up after them and he doesn't know enough about them to help me with decisions etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love them SO SO much and I wouldn't be without them. It's just all a bit much at the minute :(

Yes, at times. I miss out on a lot now I have to be around to medicate Noah 2 x a day and am missing a trip up with OH to see his family because of it, which his mum is not happy about 'she's not coming up because of a rabbit?!'. But it's only likely to be short term anyway...:(

Yes, at times. I miss out on a lot now I have to be around to medicate Noah 2 x a day and am missing a trip up with OH to see his family because of it, which his mum is not happy about 'she's not coming up because of a rabbit?!'. But it's only likely to be short term anyway...:(

Yes I can relate to that too. My bun Mimi is elderly now and needs a lot more hands on care. Ex looks after them when I want to go away but now that I live with OH and not by myself I don't know how that will work. Plus ex is having a baby at the end of the year so I doubt we'll be top of his priority list anymore :(

I think all pets are a burden in some way,
for example me and my fiancee are going to be temporarily renting but we have to find somewhere which allows pets and it can't be on a busy road because of my cats who have grown up in countryside,
so in that sense yes but genuinly no I don't feel like they are taking over my life, I think they make my life so much better.

xx

At stressful times (ie moving) they can feel like an added burden. Once they are all settled as a quad and have their wonderful new living quaters it will probably feel a lot easier.

I do know how you feel, in fact I even had to rehome some of my pets because it all got a bit much.

Life would be a lot easier in some ways if we didn't care about anyone or anything. But, we would miss out on all the enjoyable bits too.

Hope you get to escape from the responsibilities of your bunnies some time and enjoy them when you can :)

never went away when we had sox just due to his kidney disease etc, now role carries on with mabel wouldn't trust anyone to know how to check her molars clean her dodgy tooth and know if it was time for her dental :oops: wouldn't have it any other way though

Yes. When my house was ruined by rabbits, I had to move them outside to my otherwise-empty garage (which has a window and a side door, they don't spend their lives in the dark). They've been fine so far, apart from Matthew who died. But he was in good health when he departed (if such a thing is possible) with a shiny coat, and he'd been slowing down for a year, long before they went out.

My life isn't right yet. I have a long way to go. But I can't give solely to rabbits the little energy and commitment I have. They have to take a back seat now, and I have to give the majority of my limited energy to my own needs.

I think when you're fully settled in with the OH, Gemmapookie, you'll find the right balance. You've had a lot on over the last few weeks.

Last edited:
I totally get that feeling of things being a bit much at times, especially with the added responsibility of pets. We moved recently also and it was extremely stressful.

Hopefully things will settle a bit for you soon x

I get the feeling.
I'd avoid going out on date nights/doing work on the house with OH in case it upset the girls routine.

Slowly getting over it now but I still worry a lot.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

i remember when I was quad bonding feeling very overwhelmed with it all, but it was worth it in the end. You've had all that on top of moving house, moving in with your Boyfriend, and had vets visits to deal with, so I think it's understandable. things will get better :thumb:

I understand exactly how you feel since I am in a similar situation as you. My rabbit thinks he owns me and throws a full on fit if I don't fulfil his demands instantly. I swear they are worse than toddlers at times! Haha

I know exactly what you mean. I have lost several lately. They had a fab life and were cared for and still got ill. Rabbits are such hard work - emotionally, financially. I don't have any house rabbits now and that's a lot easier caring for those left outside. No matter how much I cleaned them out the wee still stank out my living room.

Back