• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barnaby is in emergency surgery- blockage....

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Barnaby is in emergency surgery- blockage... RIP Barnaby (third time unlucky).

PICT0053.jpg

Blood glucose 23.... big stomach .....:cry::cry:

Last edited:
:( Poor boy. Sending him & you many vibes, I hope you get a reassuring phone call very soon. Is he with Heather?

:( Poor boy. Sending him & you many vibes, I hope you get a reassuring phone call very soon. Is he with Heather?

He is. I left him at open surgery and only about 15 minutes later got the phone call to say he was going into surgery. I think Rosie was expecting it to be this serious during the consultation. It's exactly the same time that Binky went into surgery 9.30 on the Thursday before the owners' day... Barnaby is Esme's new companion.... :cry:

as you know he is in the best possible hands. Its only natural you will worry about history repeating itself but it is not a given. I really hope the surgery goes well for him.

Oh my gosh, I'm sorry to hear this. :( All the vibes I can muster for Barnaby ((((((((VIBES))))))))))
And ((((((hugs))))))) on the way too for you, BB. xxxxxxxx

Thanks all. He's got through the surgery thanks to the skill of the vet. The next 48 hours or so are still critical.

The blockage was in the duodenum (just outside the stomach) and given the appearance of the gut it had been there for some time. (Gut was reddish/purple). All of this made him a bad anaesthetic risk and he didn't do well at all under the GA initially but when the obstruction had been moved he did well. I had the gamble during the night of taking him to OOH I don't have faith in or playing the waiting game til my rabbit savvy vets could see him. I may have put him at risk by playing the waiting game but you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. That said, I thought it was 'just stasis', I really don't know what I would have done last night if I had known it was a blockage. I'm going to have to have a better plan for future.... but today thank god Heather was doing the surgery.

Edit to add: The blockage was a faecal pellet - I wish I could stop them eating them. Last week they have very fine hay and were producing smaller darker poops, in the last couple of days they've had stalky hay, I bet if he ate one of 'last weeks' poops it would have passed through alright!!

Last edited:
What a relief he is over the first hurdle. do they know what the blockage was? Unless you live around the corner from your savvy vet who does its own OOHs its always a difficult call deciding if it is better to wait til opening hours. It seems like you made the right call (we've both had less than competent vets let our bunnies with blockages down in our formative bunny years, haven't we?) Now vibes for a good recovery

Thanks all. He's got through the surgery thanks to the skill of the vet. The next 48 hours or so are still critical.

The blockage was in the duodenum (just outside the stomach) and given the appearance of the gut it had been there for some time. (Gut was reddish/purple). All of this made him a bad anaesthetic risk and he didn't do well at all under the GA initially but when the obstruction had been moved he did well. I had the gamble during the night of taking him to OOH I don't have faith in or playing the waiting game til my rabbit savvy vets could see him. I may have put him at risk by playing the waiting game but you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. That said, I thought it was 'just stasis', I really don't know what I would have done last night if I had known it was a blockage. I'm going to have to have a better plan for future.... but today thank god Heather was doing the surgery.

Edit to add: The blockage was a faecal pellet - I wish I could stop them eating them. Last week they have very fine hay and were producing smaller darker poops, in the last couple of days they've had stalky hay, I bet if he ate one of 'last weeks' poops it would have passed through alright!!

I have never understood how fecal pellets can cause obstructions. You'd think the highly acidic stomach would almost dissolve a re-ingested fecal. But I have heard of quite a few other cases of blockages due to fecal pellets :cry:

I really hope that Barnaby will make a good recovery xx

Back