• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The wildies/former farmed bunnies are back! U/D new photo :)

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I have been seeing the brownish-black one a few times since the weather has warmed, but these former farmed bunnies from one of our neighbors had disappeared over winter. I called this one Blackavar so it could have a name, but I couldn't tell you if it's male or female. :(
phone%2Bpix%2Band%2Bvids%2Bto%2B4-18-16%2B010.jpg

phone%2Bpix%2Band%2Bvids%2Bto%2B4-18-16%2B011.jpg

And then, you may just be able to make it out but, there's a baby.... (please pardon the poor photo quality and the old 'junk' that needs to go to the tip)
phone%2Bpix%2Band%2Bvids%2Bto%2B4-18-16%2B002%2B%25282%2529.jpg

phone%2Bpix%2Band%2Bvids%2Bto%2B4-18-16%2B002.jpg

I dread to think what will happen to these precious creatures once we move. I don't mind them being here and they certainly enjoy whatever leavings my house bunnies don't use, but there is no getting near them to capture them and Blackavar now has a fine winter coat to keep him/her warm in the snow. Quite used to fending for themselves...it breaks my heart. :cry: I think they are very fortunate to have spent their first few wild winters with the calm temps we've had and if they've been living underneath my house the baseboard heat flows down into the dirt basement and they'd have been reasonably warm.

There was an English Spot that used to pal around with Blackavar, but sadly I have not seen this one. I am sure they bonded with one another. I hope the English is still alive. :( It had a blotch on it's side that was the perfect shape of a clover, so that was the name I gave it. :love:

Last edited:
New pic of baby bunny 23-4-16

It's so cute! The picture (due to my very poor quality cell phone) does not do it justice. It is the softest grey I have ever seen and the bottoms of it's little feetsies are kind of white-ish frosted. Adorable!

I just wish I could get closer but it sped off the minute I tried. :cry:

Hope you all can see. :)

phone%2Bpix%2Bto%2Beve%2Bof%2B4-23-16%2B015.jpg

You will miss them when you leave. It's so lovely to have wild friends visiting.

I know. :( You can imagine I am already thinking of ways to nab them and take them with me. But of course that's impossible. :(

It's so cute! The picture (due to my very poor quality cell phone) does not do it justice. It is the softest grey I have ever seen and the bottoms of it's little feetsies are kind of white-ish frosted. Adorable!

I just wish I could get closer but it sped off the minute I tried. :cry:

Hope you all can see. :)

phone%2Bpix%2Bto%2Beve%2Bof%2B4-23-16%2B015.jpg

Oh look! :love:

I know it's not best for these former pet bunnies to be left on their own in the wild, and certainly not their offspring...although I find that they must be fairly savvy since they have lasted at least three years like this, and had litters before. If I were one of the unwashed masses (like my neighbors) I wouldn't think they were in any danger at all, considering they are well able to get past me, have lots of forage to eat and don't seem to venture into the road or other places where there is danger. They've been lucky because usually winters are harsh here, but the last few not as much as in the past (we barely had any -20 F this last winter) and there is obviously a tendency for these little ones to find shelter in people's dirt basements. (Honestly, I'm surprised none of them have eaten their way through our baseboards to get into the kitchen where all the goodies are!)
It's the predators that worry me. :( We have lots of foxes here, and most housecats and wandering dogs will chase anything that moves. (Ebon is an example, I never let her out in the yard without a lead.) I have thought of humanely trapping them (and it was suggested to me) but we have tried to do that before with no success. The shelter also would not bother to come do it for us.

My OH is dead set against more pets and I have had to agree with him since I just can't take on any more with my health and finances. I don't know if these wild-ish bunnies could be rehabbed to live in homes, and have no idea where these little ones would go, there is not much call for pet bunnies in the Interior. (Unless it's for the stew pot, unfortunately. :cry: )

We're likely not going to be able to sell the house right after we leave, so we're going to try to get someone to lease it to own. We're pretty picky about the kind of people we'll let to, so perhaps we can tell them about the wee bunnies and they'll keep an eye out. I know, it's sounds a bit fantastical, but it's always a hope.

Saw the wee baby bunny again tonight, my son was the one who spotted him/her and came to get me. Sweet bitty thing, it doesn't look like it's grown at all! :( I am hoping it is just a tiny breed and not malnourished.
That being said, I was moved to leave some of my bunnies' hay outdoors near where I see it disappear under one of our old derelict SUV's. There was the sound of a great horned owl in the area tonight and the last thing I want is for this tiny creature to be snagged by it. :cry:

Silly baby was running around out in the open, zooming and binkying about, trying to show off for me how clever it thought itself, but all I could think of was, "Why aren't you hiding, you daft thing?! Can't you hear the owl?? I know I can and my hearing's not that good!"

I got a few pictures of it, but it is nighttime out and the bunny, fortunately, is a deep grey color, kind of like a Russian Blue cat but darker. (In fact my son keeps calling it the Russian Blue Bunny...but I've kind of decided to call it Mythril. :oops: ) I don't know if you can see it well, but the eye shows up in the flash! :roll:
phone%2Bpix%2Bto%2B5-5-16%2B039.jpg

Sorry for how tiny it is, I cropped it down and adjusted the lighting. This was taken from a distance of at least 6 feet with my mobile.

Back