• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance AGAIN

walsh366

Young Bun
Hi 😊 im sure you are all sick to death of insurance questions but I've just got the 3 quotes for my 2 adopted buns im picking up on Sunday, but 2 aspects aren't clear from the policies. PP is £23.67 pm, PAH £15.40 pm and HuC £12.58 pm covering both.
(1) flystrike. Helpucover is the only one that mentions it (pay for first but not subsequent)
(2) teeth - all very vague.

My last bun Pete had to be PTS following teeth/eye complications and none was covered on HuC policy I had.

Any advice on which to choose would be appreciated. Our vets are affiliated to PP but the receptionist said they are happy to deal with any insurance company.

Many thanks in advance
Sarah x

I've only used PP but I have to say I really do recommend. I think that it does cover teeth issues as Storm had already had dental issues before I insured him and it outlined in the form that as a result it wouldn't be covered, whereas on Biscuit and Willow's forms it had no mention of dental issues not being covered as neither have had previous problems with their teeth.

PP are also really really efficient and dealt with my claim within hours of me making it, which was important as it was an emergency.

Thanks for that - im so on the edge thinking 2 of them, excesses etc, and I could really do with not spending the extra £130 per annum going for PP. I never made one claim with Pete in 3 years so it was literally money down the drain, but I won't do without it x

Last edited:
Thanks for that - im so on the edge thinking 2 of them, excesses etc, and I could really do with not spending the extra £130 per annum going for PP. I never made one claim with Pete in 3 years so it was literally money down the drain, but I won't do without it x
I certainly wouldn't be without insurance since what happened to Storm last week. It was a massive £2500 bill and thankfully insurance covered £2000 of that, otherwise there is no way I would have been able to afford it and I would have had no choice but to have him PTS. I'm so thankful that I had him insured as it means that my baby is still with me as a result [emoji1]

I've always gone with PP as I used to deal with them on a daily basis at the vets and I never remember them refusing to pay.

PP to pay for flystrike and do cover dental issues.

I've had limited experience dealing with P@H and the majority of the time they were very unhelpful and slow to pay.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I highly recommend Pets at Home insurance. I've had no bother with them at all, they've generally been more efficient in my experience than Petplan. (I have 6 policies with Pp and 14 with P@H. I've claimed for quite a variety of conditions/treatments with both including dentals which both paid out for. Pp were particularly inefficient with one claim where they took the excess off a continuation claim, I had to contact them weekly to try to expedite progress (excess is £100, I wanted to know I was getting it back!). It took a total of 10 weeks and many false promises to get the money back.

The premiums and excesses are getting so high on my older rabbits (with Pp) that I'm seriously wondering whether it's worth the bother. The excesses haven't risen on the P@H policies and the premiums haven't risen as steeply.

I highly recommend Pets at Home insurance. I've had no bother with them at all, they've generally been more efficient in my experience than Petplan. (I have 6 policies with Pp and 14 with P@H. I've claimed for quite a variety of conditions/treatments with both including dentals which both paid out for. Pp were particularly inefficient with one claim where they took the excess off a continuation claim, I had to contact them weekly to try to expedite progress (excess is £100, I wanted to know I was getting it back!). It took a total of 10 weeks and many false promises to get the money back.

The premiums and excesses are getting so high on my older rabbits (with Pp) that I'm seriously wondering whether it's worth the bother. The excesses haven't risen on the P@H policies and the premiums haven't risen as steeply.

Do P@H give Life Cover ?

Do P@H give Life Cover ?

Yes, it's called Premium and the only level of cover they do. It's basically (as far as I can see) same T&C at Petplan just £1.5k worth of cover compared to £2K. I'm prepared to gamble the bill won't exceed £1.5k ... given the gamble that it could exceed £2k anyway.

I use P@H insurance too - okay so their excess is higher and the maximum amount paid out is lower per year than PP - BUT their premiums are so much lower as well. They've always paid out. Only issue I have with them is that they ALWAYS request more information from the vets even though they have received everything the vet has to send....this I think is a delaying tactic which annoys me.
When consider what I've paid in premiums for Bobo compared to what I've received back so far - I've actually gained! I expect his premiums to jump a fair bit next year though.

Yes, it's called Premium and the only level of cover they do. It's basically (as far as I can see) same T&C at Petplan just £1.5k worth of cover compared to £2K. I'm prepared to gamble the bill won't exceed £1.5k ... given the gamble that it could exceed £2k anyway.

Thanks. One to look at then. Pet Plan seem to hike up their Premium if you happen to live in London !

I use P@H insurance too - okay so their excess is higher and the maximum amount paid out is lower per year than PP - BUT their premiums are so much lower as well. They've always paid out. Only issue I have with them is that they ALWAYS request more information from the vets even though they have received everything the vet has to send....this I think is a delaying tactic which annoys me.
When consider what I've paid in premiums for Bobo compared to what I've received back so far - I've actually gained! I expect his premiums to jump a fair bit next year though.

Thanks for that feedback Fellie :D

I think I might have another look at P@H Insurance ...

Back