• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had a shock today re Thumper's insurance

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
She's exceeded her annual limit so I'm not going to get any money back from the insurance company (which I badly needed as it was £500) plus if she's ill again between now and 5th July, it's coming out of our pocket, which we can ill-afford. I just hope she's not ill again, but what are the chances :(. We'll have to find the money from somewhere, but where?

No point to this thread really as no-one can help or advise, but I'm just in a bit of a shock at the moment. We can't afford £500 bills, we just can't, not at the rate Thumper gets sick :cry:.

I haven't claimed on my insurance for years. I'm thinking of cancelling. But as soon as I do, they'll be ill.

She's exceeded her annual limit so I'm not going to get any money back from the insurance company (which I badly needed as it was £500) plus if she's ill again between now and 5th July, it's coming out of our pocket, which we can ill-afford. I just hope she's not ill again, but what are the chances :(. We'll have to find the money from somewhere, but where?

No point to this thread really as no-one can help or advise, but I'm just in a bit of a shock at the moment. We can't afford £500 bills, we just can't, not at the rate Thumper gets sick :cry:.

Oh no!

I can feel the shock you're in, I would be the same :shock:

Vibes Thumper doesn't get sick ... She just can't!

I haven't claimed on my insurance for years. I'm thinking of cancelling. But as soon as I do, they'll be ill.
I would seriously seriously advise against against cancelling it. I'm not sure if you saw my thread about Storm, but last Tuesday Storm broke a hind leg and after all of the medication, admissions, surgery and other vet care the total amount spent is £2500. Obviously I don't have that kind of money so if I didn't have him insured I would have had no choice but to have him PTS because I just wouldn't be able to afford treatment. I am over the moon that I had him insured because otherwise my little man wouldn't be with us anymore.

I'm so sorry, it's stressful enough when they are ill without adding the worry of money to the equation. I have everything crossed for you that she stays well! (Until 5th July anyway, we can't ask too much of her [emoji6] )

Thanks, everyone x

Hopefully with the better weather she might stay well (one never knows!) and if we don't give her anything else to eat other than her normal stuff that may help (though that generally doesn't make a difference but the last time she was poorly I think was kicked off by she and Coco having some strawberry tops, and they only had about 4 or 5 each).

If she is poorly then with luck she won't need hospitalisation/overnight care, just jabs. Jabs cured her before, so with luck they'll cure her again. Until July anyway!

How stressful for you...I hope Thumper does not need any more vets trips. One of the reasons I don't insure my bunnies is because of my fear of this kind of situation, thinking I had them covered but that not being the case. I'm glad we seldom hear of insurers not paying up but sad its happened to you.

I would seriously seriously advise against against cancelling it. I'm not sure if you saw my thread about Storm, but last Tuesday Storm broke a hind leg and after all of the medication, admissions, surgery and other vet care the total amount spent is £2500. Obviously I don't have that kind of money so if I didn't have him insured I would have had no choice but to have him PTS because I just wouldn't be able to afford treatment. I am over the moon that I had him insured because otherwise my little man wouldn't be with us anymore.

OK, that's convincing.:lol:

How stressful for you...I hope Thumper does not need any more vets trips. One of the reasons I don't insure my bunnies is because of my fear of this kind of situation, thinking I had them covered but that not being the case. I'm glad we seldom hear of insurers not paying up but sad its happened to you.

No, it's not that they haven't paid up, it is that she has reached her maximum annual allowance. They have never refused to pay a bill, ever. It's just that she has, for the first time ever, gone over the £2,000 maximum, so until the policy is renewed in July they won't be able to refund me any more vet bills.

Not paying up is entirely different, please do not confuse the two.

No, it's not that they haven't paid up, it is that she has reached her maximum annual allowance. They have never refused to pay a bill, ever. It's just that she has, for the first time ever, gone over the £2,000 maximum, so until the policy is renewed in July they won't be able to refund me any more vet bills.

Not paying up is entirely different, please do not confuse the two.

ahhh, I see. That's probably why I never hear much of refused claims. Will her insurance go up massively in July?

ahhh, I see. That's probably why I never hear much of refused claims. Will her insurance go up massively in July?

Probably! I'm expecting it to double but that's because she turns 5 years old in June (they both do), but even at £40 a month it will still be worth it because that means we'll be paying a total of £480 insurance for the entire year, but have £2,000 worth of cover. We couldn't afford not to have it.

It's when they turn seven (Petplan policies) that you take a sharp intake of breath as there's 20% of the bill to settle as well as the excess. it's too steep. I'm wanting to cancel Esme's insurance but I'm frightening of jinxing her good health by cancelling! (£222 a year plus £105 excess + 20% *sigh*).

I hope Thumper doesn't do any OOH or anything dramatic between now and July.

My rabbits are stupidly wealthy compared to me:lol: I put money in their own bank account each month but luckily they've all been healthy so far, so it just keeps adding up but thats all good as I have plenty of experience of escalating vet bills so know what seems a lot wouldn't be if something serious happened to two of them. They are covered, just not by an insurance company

My rabbits are stupidly wealthy compared to me:lol: I put money in their own bank account each month but luckily they've all been healthy so far, so it just keeps adding up but thats all good as I have plenty of experience of escalating vet bills so know what seems a lot wouldn't be if something serious happened to two of them. They are covered, just not by an insurance company
Wow, that is an excellent idea! I've never even thought of anything like that but it is a great alternative to insuring them. I might have to do that for Storm seeing as he's now not technically insured until January after that massive vet bill. How do you do it though may I ask? I'm only 18 and don't know a huge amount about banking as it is, so this is way out of my knowledge haha.

Well when I say their own bank account its under my name but an ISA account with my regular account where I only keep "their money". For the past year I've just been putting £50 in a month but there was a fair bit before that. i'm really good at not touching it

Well when I say their own bank account its under my name but an ISA account with my regular account where I only keep "their money". For the past year I've just been putting £50 in a month but there was a fair bit before that. i'm really good at not touching it
I kind of assumed it was literally theirs, they would spend it all on treats if they had access to it I'm sure! [emoji6] That's a really fab idea, I think I'm going to look into doing that now that you've suggested it, thank you [emoji4]

I kind of assumed it was literally theirs, they would spend it all on treats if they had access to it I'm sure! [emoji6] That's a really fab idea, I think I'm going to look into doing that now that you've suggested it, thank you [emoji4]

Yes I'm very careful to shield my laptop screen when i'm entering passwords or they'd be ordering themselves all sorts online, custom princess gowns for Boo & everything :lol:

I just claimed for Bobo's EC treatment - I received a cheque back for £890 which I was very grateful for. But I think I've exceed his limit now for the year as well - and I've another claim of £300 to put through. I'm with P@H Insurance - the limit is £1,500 a year and higher excess than Pets Plan BUT the starting premiums are very low (I pay under £10 each for most of my buns per month) which is important with 8 buns.

I am so very relieved from a financial point of view that the vets have stopped his treatment - it wasn't the meds that were expensive but the monthly blood tests - £200 a pop was killing me.

I do feel your pain Angie B!!!

Back