• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone else have a need...

BunnyMania

Young Bun
...to rescue bunnies?

I've thought for a while about rescuing bunnies. I would love to one day be able to take in a couple of special needs rabbits or rabbits with disabilities, as more of a sanctuary for them than a rescue. I've even had all sorts of dreams about it! I've always had a love for the animals that are 'less desirable' to some people and I just want to take them in and give them a good home.

Of course though, I completely understand how costly that can be and time consuming, as well as heart breaking. I've previously ran a small hamster rescue but know it would likely be nothing in comparison. Unfortunately in my position as a student (not having a job), I don't have the funds to do this, but it is still my dream!

I keep seeing bunnies with slight health problems or disabilities, even very elderly bunnies needing homes and it's continuously tugging at the heart strings.

Has anyone else had thoughts about this, if so, what's stopping you? Or has anyone thought of doing this and been able to achieve it? Would love to know more if so :)

I have real problems saying no to both people and animals and at times this has been detrimental to my mental health. However, I have a very sweet but also very honest / full of common sense chappy to keep me on the right track and make sure I don't get in over my head, but if I had unlimited funds and time I'd take in everybun. :love:

...to rescue bunnies?

I've thought for a while about rescuing bunnies. I would love to one day be able to take in a couple of special needs rabbits or rabbits with disabilities, as more of a sanctuary for them than a rescue. I've even had all sorts of dreams about it! I've always had a love for the animals that are 'less desirable' to some people and I just want to take them in and give them a good home.

Of course though, I completely understand how costly that can be and time consuming, as well as heart breaking. I've previously ran a small hamster rescue but know it would likely be nothing in comparison. Unfortunately in my position as a student (not having a job), I don't have the funds to do this, but it is still my dream!

I keep seeing bunnies with slight health problems or disabilities, even very elderly bunnies needing homes and it's continuously tugging at the heart strings.

Has anyone else had thoughts about this, if so, what's stopping you? Or has anyone thought of doing this and been able to achieve it? Would love to know more if so :)

Oh yes. Constantly ...

That's why I foster, rehabilitate and rehome. I have to do something.

I would go crazy doing nothing with all those needy bunnies around :)

What I will say is even if you feel like your dreams can not be acomplished now due to financial reasons, they may come true eventually.
Never give up no matter what, I have come close to given up my dreams before but I never will, I will always try to make them come true and sometimes they do.
As for wanting to help bunnies in need, I completely understand that, I'm like it with cats as well.
My Pepsi was a jet black cat (a lot of people don't like black cats) they were looking to home him and the person who was going to take him in had a history of violence so my fiancee let me have him.
Our other cat Roxy was from a really rough home, they were horrible people with pets everywhere, they had drugs everywhere and nasty dogs, I kind of felt like we rescued him.
My brother in law has a baby rabbit and if he doesn't look after the bunny properlyI will take him.
It's a maternal instinct I think xx

I do currently have a foster rabbit, I love knowing that even though financially I can't commit to owning a few more of my own that I can still help a rescue.

I've always wanted to rescue animals and I've been able to come across some wonderful people through animal rescues. I feel as if there is a lack of a rescue in my area which specifically helps the most needy bunnies. It's sad because I'd love to be able to help find homes for some of the bunnies that I come across but a lot of the rescues are sadly either full with their waiting lists or aren't really 'rescues' as such, with some breeding.

Hopefully one day I will be able to help more :) For now, I have my pair and my foster keeping me on my toes.

Back