• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it big enough?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I'm trying to make a final decision for new housing for my mini lop / lionhead trio.

I've seen something I really like, but I want to make sure it's big enough.

It's an 11ft x 7ft aviary (6ft high, I think) with a shed at the back. The shed is 7ft by 4ft and the 'run' area is 7ft x 7ft, to which they would have permanent access.

Also, what type of wire gauge and size is best? as you can request this.

Thanks in advance x

Sounds like a reasonable size, works out to 78 square foot i think. If you could nudge the run an extra foot or two so it's 7x8ft or 7x9ft to get closer to 100 square foot for a trio that's the "ideal" size. Will they have any supervised free range time outside of this? You can also add extra levels in the shed. I have a 6x4 shed and they have a long ladder up to a balcony in the window which they love to sit in.

Wire wise you want welded mesh either 16 or 19 gauge with small holes, no larger than 0.5". Is this being made for you by a company?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It's an aviary company I've seen on eBay, but they make them themselves and can basically adapt them to suit your requirements.

I do have space to go bigger, but this one would already stretch my budget. Tbh I've been going round in circles for months now trying to decide. This one appealed because it is a shed / run area in one, rather than getting the two separately but I have seen other possibilities. For example they also do a 15ft x 6ft aviary, but I would want to pay extra for kick boards and a roof and would then need a separate shed too.

I have got a spare 6ft x 4ft run which I could probably attach to the first option! I also definitely plan to add extra levels to the accommodation. Oh and yes I've always wanted to make them a balcony!

Free range time isn't something I've done before, but would consider it x

I think the 11ft x 7 ft aviary sounds fine, especially if you've also got a separate 6ft x 4ft run to attach. The attaching could be done with a runaround tube perhaps. Having an aviary is good as the height allows you to get inside and is so much easier for cleaning out. The height also allows the opportunity of different levels.

Perhaps you could attach a link to the one you are thinking of :) I remember how difficult it is to decide what to get.

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a final decision for new housing for my mini lop / lionhead trio.

I've seen something I really like, but I want to make sure it's big enough.

It's an 11ft x 7ft aviary (6ft high, I think) with a shed at the back. The shed is 7ft by 4ft and the 'run' area is 7ft x 7ft, to which they would have permanent access.

Also, what type of wire gauge and size is best? as you can request this.

Thanks in advance x

It sounds amazing - lucky bunnies :D

I think it looks great and with the right mesh should be ideal. Lucky rabbits :love: I bet you're excited.

Thank you, yes I am really excited, it's been a long time in the planning. I've lost count of the amount of times I've told my dh that something is my final choice, only to change my mind again :oops:

We just have to get a quote for the mesh, so fingers crossed it won't be a lot more expensive.

Looks like it could be a month or so before they can deliver, which is a shame x

Thanks MightyMax, hopefully it will!

I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime, as we still haven't finished unpacking from moving (well it's basically ground to a halt as we have no more room) and I'm going to be planting the garden x

Ok, as predicted we are changing our minds again, well I say we, my husband doesn't think it's quite right.

So now I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aviary-Ap...007505?hash=item3d178b4251:g:aYUAAOSwECZUoE2G

We would add a shed to the side which would be at least 6x4 and incorporate our existing 6x4 run, to give us over 100 square feet.

Also we would want to weather proof the roof with something, I'd like it to be clear though, so that we don't annoy our neighbours.

Any advice or opinions welcome?

Thanks in advance x

Ok, as predicted we are changing our minds again, well I say we, my husband doesn't think it's quite right.

So now I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aviary-Ap...007505?hash=item3d178b4251:g:aYUAAOSwECZUoE2G

We would add a shed to the side which would be at least 6x4 and incorporate our existing 6x4 run, to give us over 100 square feet.

Also we would want to weather proof the roof with something, I'd like it to be clear though, so that we don't annoy our neighbours.

Any advice or opinions welcome?

Thanks in advance x

It looks stunning :D

Word of caution about the roof, having had a similar experience of this at a Rescue I volunteer at ... A clear roof would not protect against hot sun, which rabbits are bad at coping with. It also isn't a great insulator in the winter, but that's down to how It's done I guess.

The main issue I would think would be shielding from sun.

Ah, yes I hadn't thought of that, would probably be like sitting in a greenhouse!

They actually do a full roof version of it. I just don't know if it would cause an issue with the neighbours whose house is behind ours (basically the end of their garden, joins the end of our garden). Might have to have a think about the positioning!

Thanks for your replies. It's such a hard business, it's a lot of money to spend, so it has to be right!

Ah, yes I hadn't thought of that, would probably be like sitting in a greenhouse!

They actually do a full roof version of it. I just don't know if it would cause an issue with the neighbours whose house is behind ours (basically the end of their garden, joins the end of our garden). Might have to have a think about the positioning!

Thanks for your replies. It's such a hard business, it's a lot of money to spend, so it has to be right!

Can you have a word with your neighbours and explain what you're planning? I have never been consulted by anyone erecting a shed before, but I'd be highly delighted if they did decide to talk to me about it first :D

Well, my dh has already had a brief conversation with them because they noticed the paving slabs in the garden and thought they might be for a patio :) but I don't think he told them the potential size!

Tbh though my dh and I have chatted tonight and he thinks I'm being silly and that it won't be an issue. So I think we are going to go for the full roof.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated x

Well, my dh has already had a brief conversation with them because they noticed the paving slabs in the garden and thought they might be for a patio :) but I don't think he told them the potential size!

Tbh though my dh and I have chatted tonight and he thinks I'm being silly and that it won't be an issue. So I think we are going to go for the full roof.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated x

Very welcome :thumb:

Back