• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Needed

Calathea

Young Bun
Bit of a long story, but here goes. We currently just have Alfie.

Alfie's brother who we got we Alfie died of EC. When Thor became poorly Alfie was treated for it just in case. It should have cleared him of it but Freya became ill not long after we got her. She started showing symptoms and within 4 hours was fitting, leaking urine, eyes flickering sideways and had no gut sounds at all. We had to make the heartbreaking decision to have her put to sleep. We assumed it was again EC however by morning blood had pooled from her nose which means that she had blood in her lungs before she died. That indicates VHD. She was vaccinated for VHD but not for VHD2, the new strain, as my vets are having trouble getting any of the vaccine. But it is also possible it was once again EC. We then, months later, Alfie being fine, got Harley. Again, she got ill very quickly. She almost certainly had EC. That indicates that Alfie is in fact still a carrier which is what we need to investigate. It's possible that Harley came with it but either way, Alfie needs testing.

We now have the chance of adopting a 6 month old mini lop who we have fallen in love with. However, we are petrified that yet again we will kill another rabbit. My vet is very rabbit savvy and will be phoning me today to talk about testing, possible treatment etc.

Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation? Alfie has had a 28 day course of Lapizole but that either didn't work or he needs it again. Any advice would be really, really welcome.

Spoken to a nurse who has booked Alf in for a blood test tomorrow to test for EC.

If he tests negative, I don't know where to go from there. I don't know what else it could be, other than incredibly bad luck.

Back