• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to know when is the right time to introduce a friend?

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Many of you are aware I just have little Bailey currently after loosing my two previous Angels. Bailey is 9 months old, shortly approaching 10 months. I'm really struggling with what to do.

Being honest, I don't really want another bunny at the moment but at the same time don't want to deny Bailey happiness. He is out free range with us, but we do both work meaning he's on his own for the majority of the day. But I do pop home at lunchtime to check in on him.

Now my dilemma is how do you know if he would like company, or because he's used to being around us so much, would he prefer being single? He has a huge selection of toys, tunnels, willow balls, cardboard castle etc and seems to be happy. He regularly binkys around us & every night we have bunny 500's lapping round the lounge so I assume he's happy?!

I have been contacting rescues but I'm keen to have a younger bunny if possible only because I can hopefully get her used to living in the house. Or do I leave it a few months till he reaches 1 and then look to bond?

Would really appreciate anyone's advice;
Xxxx

Hi everyone,

Many of you are aware I just have little Bailey currently after loosing my two previous Angels. Bailey is 9 months old, shortly approaching 10 months. I'm really struggling with what to do.

Being honest, I don't really want another bunny at the moment but at the same time don't want to deny Bailey happiness. He is out free range with us, but we do both work meaning he's on his own for the majority of the day. But I do pop home at lunchtime to check in on him.

Now my dilemma is how do you know if he would like company, or because he's used to being around us so much, would he prefer being single? He has a huge selection of toys, tunnels, willow balls, cardboard castle etc and seems to be happy. He regularly binkys around us & every night we have bunny 500's lapping round the lounge so I assume he's happy?!

I have been contacting rescues but I'm keen to have a younger bunny if possible only because I can hopefully get her used to living in the house. Or do I leave it a few months till he reaches 1 and then look to bond?

Would really appreciate anyone's advice;
Xxxx

Bailey sounds like a real sweetheart :love:

I know what you mean about a single bun running around the house and being affectionate. It's tempting to think that they have everything their heart could desire. And in fact because they have known no different, they are happy in that fact :D

However, having had single buns who have seemed so very happy to be single house rabbits, when I have bonded them with a friend - their lives are made complete. They have never lost the friendliness towards me, but they have someone to snuggle at night and when I'm not with them. And being honest, I am away from them more hours than I am physically with them.

Another rabbit can be at their side almost constantly, should they so wish. I can't give that to any rabbit I look after, even ones that have slept on my bed :love:

I also find that the friendly ones can sometimes be the needy ones, and they want 24/7 huggies and really appreciate a friend.

However, your opinion comes into the equation, and if you feel you don't want another rabbit right now, then that's the right decision, and I totally respect that Ruth :D

I can understand your worry about getting a friend and agree with MM. I think as time goes by you would regret not getting him a friend, and then it would possibly be more difficult to bond him. But it has to be your decision! :D

Back