• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaced-out bunnies!

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Matt, my OH, has had the great idea of getting multiple pens for the bunnies so they can have MORE supervised lawn access (while the run is still in-production). We bought a new puppy pen and used it to acclimatise Aboleth to new places post-car journey, to make sure she'd be OK for boarding (a reasounding success!), so today we attached new pen to old and let them out in the garden:

12998526_10101969182960358_5427070268525351818_n.jpg

I also videoed them doing binkies :love: If you listen to it with the sound on you can hear me and Matt (not sure he remembered I was videoing, rather than photographing!). It's a video on Facebook but everyone should be able to see it (give me a shout if not): it IS in the wrong orientation, but I couldn't be bothered to change it ;P Maybe later today...

https://www.facebook.com/keletkezes/videos/10101969055780228/

It seems Lopsy does racing-binkies where he tears around before or after a jump, whereas Aboleth is a jump-binkier, as she does lots of jumps and twists. I expect that's partly to do with body shape as both are very different, although the same size!

We're going to buy one more pen, and maybe some metal stakes to replace the canes. With one more pen we can cover almost the whole lawn except a bit about the size of the run: so when we get the run meshed off, that's the whole lawn while we're there to supervise them :D

Matt, my OH, has had the great idea of getting multiple pens for the bunnies so they can have MORE supervised lawn access (while the run is still in-production). We bought a new puppy pen and used it to acclimatise Aboleth to new places post-car journey, to make sure she'd be OK for boarding (a reasounding success!), so today we attached new pen to old and let them out in the garden:

12998526_10101969182960358_5427070268525351818_n.jpg

I also videoed them doing binkies :love: If you listen to it with the sound on you can hear me and Matt (not sure he remembered I was videoing, rather than photographing!). It's a video on Facebook but everyone should be able to see it (give me a shout if not): it IS in the wrong orientation, but I couldn't be bothered to change it ;P Maybe later today...

https://www.facebook.com/keletkezes/videos/10101969055780228/

It seems Lopsy does racing-binkies where he tears around before or after a jump, whereas Aboleth is a jump-binkier, as she does lots of jumps and twists. I expect that's partly to do with body shape as both are very different, although the same size!

We're going to buy one more pen, and maybe some metal stakes to replace the canes. With one more pen we can cover almost the whole lawn except a bit about the size of the run: so when we get the run meshed off, that's the whole lawn while we're there to supervise them :D

What a lovely big area ... and the lush grass :love:

Awh lovely.
I admit... jealous of the grass... ours is moss at the moment :(

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It looks great :thumb: I can't see the video but I'm not on Facebook so that might be why.

lovely video - Aboleth does lovely zigzag binkies. :love:Flopsy looks a little like my Mouse in real life

Lopsy was doing hilarious impressions of minilop1's Mabel this morning: zooming about and trying to fly! His ears were all over the place :lol: Aboleth got scared by a sudden flock of pigeons but then backed out of the gtube after they'd gone and didn't even look up when they went back over an hour later.

Lopsy didn't want to go back in yesterday: we have a sneaking suspicion he remembers the longer tubes being hard to get in and out of (sometimes he slides on the top one as it's smooth inside) but the slope isn't as bad as it sometimes is so he should be fine. But Matt had to get him in a carrier when we wanted them in last night because he wouldn't choose the 'easy' route! :lol: And then neither were interested in pellets (!) so we just left half their normal amount for them. They were interested in hawthorn though. Fickle little creatures!

Also, re: grass: takes a lot more care than people think! Sometimes you just live in the right place and it takes care of itself, but we have to work for ours! OK, not like superhard but more than I'd like :lol: Ours is lumpy and I HATE it having all these dips and bumps and stuff, but there's naff all we can realistically do about it without getting a roller in :( But, I do tend to the grass: we let the bunnies out and they mow it for us, and fertilise it (this season's Bunny Mad has a good article on bunny poo as fertiliser:thumb:), and I periodically reseed it, feed it with just normal compost (can't feed it with most commercial feed as I'm worried it might be bad for bunnies) as an extra to cover all the nutrients, and, most importantly, rake it after the bunnies have had a go on it and fork holes into it to aerate it twice a year (March and September roughly). The aerating is important especially if you have damp grass which is prone to moss :thumb: Obviously a mosskiller would be good but that certainly precludes bunny activity for up to 6 months! I buy my grass seed from Wilko: they do a bag-your-own which is great value and I can get 5kg a time! It seems to last alright if stored correclty (mine's just in the original paper bag with a plastic bag tied over it to stop water getting in, and kept in the garage). I just get the cheapest one :lol:

Zoobec: you should still be able to see it: maybe Facebook's changed their 'outsider' settings again!

Last edited:
Back