• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving Baytril and..

Hello all!

I'm wondering if you could give me advice what is the best way to give or hide the taste of Baytril apart from the obvious (feeding shringe into mouth) and my vet has only give me 7 days worth for a possible URI is that the usual amount given to treat?

I read to much and worry to much :( haha!

Thanks again! :D

Hello all!

I'm wondering if you could give me advice what is the best way to give or hide the taste of Baytril apart from the obvious (feeding shringe into mouth) and my vet has only give me 7 days worth for a possible URI is that the usual amount given to treat?

I read to much and worry to much :( haha!

Thanks again! :D

Hello :wave:

Is the Baytril for the lovely little rabbit in your avatar?

I usually just syringe it all in and then give a syringe of something like ella's kitchen baby food (bananas is good, or apple and pear, or carrot and parsnip). But I guess you could draw up the baytril and then add a bit of baby food into the tip? Bit cheeky and I know the rabbit won't be fooled, but may help.

I think after 7 days you should revisit the vet with a report on whether it's made any difference, as he may extend the course if it's shown to be useful, or change the antibiotic (perhaps to septrin) if it doesn't seem to be helping.

Hope that helps :D

Hello :wave:

Is the Baytril for the lovely little rabbit in your avatar?

I usually just syringe it all in and then give a syringe of something like ella's kitchen baby food (bananas is good, or apple and pear, or carrot and parsnip). But I guess you could draw up the baytril and then add a bit of baby food into the tip? Bit cheeky and I know the rabbit won't be fooled, but may help.

I think after 7 days you should revisit the vet with a report on whether it's made any difference, as he may extend the course if it's shown to be useful, or change the antibiotic (perhaps to septrin) if it doesn't seem to be helping.

Hope that helps :D

Yeah it is! :)

I will try that thanks! He seems to be okay with it squirted on his food just alot of licking haha! :lol:

My vet nurse suggested adding a bit of ribena to the baytril. I just drew up the baytril and then drew up a tiny bit of neat ribena into the syringe, but I suppose you could mix it. It certainly stopped Parsley from letting it dribble out of the side of his mouth! She said they like the sweetness and that they sometimes add it to the water if they are trying to get fluids down a bunny. I'm assuming you know that there's a gap between the front and back teeth to aim the syringe into, although I know of one bunny that will only take meds straight on. If bunny tries to escape when giving meds you can burrito them, by wrapping them up in a towel. A second pair of hands is always helpful. If bunny won't take the syringe you can try wiping it on his favourite bit of veg or on a mini shredded wheat. Hope your little one recovers soon x

Alfie is such pain to syringe meds into that I tend to take the easy way out. :oops: I mix the baytril with a tiny bit of pure fruit/veg baby food and he eats it all himself.

I spoke to soon, seems like he's picked the dry food that hasn't got the Baytril on grr. Sneaky bunny!
That's some great info there, I'll make sure I'll put ALL of it to use tomorrow I promise haha. He doesn't look very impressed with me at the moment it's as if he knows. :| :D

Good luck!

Depending how greedy he is and how much baytril you need to give wrapping it up inside a basil leaf is another option - Alfie gobbles the whole thing up before he realises what's on it. :lol::lol:

I spoke to soon, seems like he's picked the dry food that hasn't got the Baytril on grr. Sneaky bunny!
That's some great info there, I'll make sure I'll put ALL of it to use tomorrow I promise haha. He doesn't look very impressed with me at the moment it's as if he knows. :| :D

Of course he knows ;)

Lesson 1: Never underestimate your rabbit's intelligence :lol:

Edited to add Lesson 2: In your case - never underestimate your rabbit's handsome good looks :love:

Last edited:
Back