• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles ADVICE NEEDED

aubrey92

New Kit
My rabbit has snuffles and is now on medication. Hes sneezing and it is difficult for him to breathe, I was wondering if anybody knows anything I can do myself to help his breathing like clean his nose. I'm not sure if its best to leave it alone and let it clear up on its own as I don't want to cause him unnecessary discomfort or stress if it will be pointless. Any advice will help thanks.

My rabbit has snuffles and is now on medication. Hes sneezing and it is difficult for him to breathe, I was wondering if anybody knows anything I can do myself to help his breathing like clean his nose. I'm not sure if its best to leave it alone and let it clear up on its own as I don't want to cause him unnecessary discomfort or stress if it will be pointless. Any advice will help thanks.

I've just posted this over on your other thread :D

Hi Aubrey and welcome to RU

I'm sorry to hear your rabbit has snuffles. I expect the vet has given antibiotics such as Baytril?

The other thing you could talk to your vet about is using something called a 'mucolytic'. This thins the mucous in the nasal passages and will help it to discharge. Bisolvon is the one we normally use, and it's a white powder - you only need a pinch, but you can only get it on vet's prescription.

How long has he been on meds and when is the vet reviewing him?

Thank you for your reply. He had injections the 1st & 2nd day he was poorly which was Tuesday and Wednesday but Im not sure what they actually were. Is Baytril ususally given through injections? He has been on the medication Ive been given since yesterday and they are reviewing him next Thursday. I will ask the vets about those you mentioned thank you :)

He hasn't eaten or drank by himself since Monday so I am having to syringe feed and water him. Do you know when they usually start picking up from snuffles?

Did the Vet mention also prescribing a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam. With 'Snuffles' there can be a lot of inflammation within the nasal passages and this can make the Sneezing worse.

You say that he is finding it difficult to breathe. Do you mean that he is sometimes having to breathe through his mouth and/or stick his head up in the air ?

I assume the Vet prescribed an antibiotic such as Baytril or Septrin ?
If there is a lot of thick mucus then you could ask the Vet about giving a mucolytic powder called Bisolvon which can help to thin out the mucus secretions making it easier for it to drain.

http://www.vetdispense.co.uk/776-bisolvon

Sometimes steam inhaltions or nebulising with a saline solution can be beneficial. Antibiotics can also be given via a nebuliser aswell as orally/by injection.

This thread is long, but you may pick up some useful tips by ploughing your way through it.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?340086-Snuffle-bunny-thread

These links may also be helpful

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IWyfXLaZts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpVeWhJ8RA

I hope your Rabbit's symptoms improve soon.

Thank you for your reply. He had injections the 1st & 2nd day he was poorly which was Tuesday and Wednesday but Im not sure what they actually were. Is Baytril ususally given through injections? He has been on the medication Ive been given since yesterday and they are reviewing him next Thursday. I will ask the vets about those you mentioned thank you :)

He hasn't eaten or drank by himself since Monday so I am having to syringe feed and water him. Do you know when they usually start picking up from snuffles?

Yes, Baytril can be given both by injection and also by mouth.

Does your vet know that he hasn't been eating and drinking? He may be dehydrated, and perhaps he should have some gut motility drugs to help his system get working again? He will need all his strength to cope with snuffles, poor wee thing.

There's a good article on stasis here (sorry if you already know all about this!)

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits/

I would say, with a bad case of snuffles, give it at least a week before you notice any difference. Sometimes the vet can continue the antibiotics for two weeks or more, and then maybe change them if they haven't worked.

You can build up his immune system using echinacea. If you haven't used it or need more info, please PM :wave:

Thanks for your reply, the medication he is on is Metacam and Sulfatrim. He hasnt been breathing through his mouth but he just sounds so loud when hes breathing. Thank you for the thread.

Yes, Baytril can be given both by injection and also by mouth.

Does your vet know that he hasn't been eating and drinking? He may be dehydrated, and perhaps he should have some gut motility drugs to help his system get working again? He will need all his strength to cope with snuffles, poor wee thing.

There's a good article on stasis here (sorry if you already know all about this!)

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits/

I would say, with a bad case of snuffles, give it at least a week before you notice any difference. Sometimes the vet can continue the antibiotics for two weeks or more, and then maybe change them if they haven't worked.

You can build up his immune system using echinacea. If you haven't used it or need more info, please PM :wave:

The vet knows he hasn't been eating or drinking so Im giving him Critical Care food stuff with a syringe. And also giving him water through a syringe. He needs his back tooth filing down and that's why they think hes not eating. But they can't do it until his snuffles is better. Thank you for your advice :)

The vet knows he hasn't been eating or drinking so Im giving him Critical Care food stuff with a syringe. And also giving him water through a syringe. He needs his back tooth filing down and that's why they think hes not eating. But they can't do it until his snuffles is better. Thank you for your advice :)

You're very welcome :thumb:

I find mixing critical care with something like Ella's Kitchen baby food pouches makes it a bit more exciting, but then my buns aren't over keen on the aniseed flavour! If his not eating continues, you could consider visiting a vet who does 'conscious dentals' which does not involve sedation (obviously risky if his breathing is impaired). Not all vets are happy or confident to do this, but it's certainly got me out of a spot with buns who can't have a GA!

Back