• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

quick question, advice please (plastering)

where should the pets go?

• stay where they are downstairs

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • take them into the bathroom

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
later on, a plasterer will be coming to cut out a section of our bedroom ceiling (cutting some board or something) and a new board put in and plastered. it will take about an hour and a half. we will be asking him to keep the bedroom door closed as much as possible and will have the windows open.

i don't know what to do with the pets.

- leave them where they are downstairs. this is one 'big' room so no option to do anything but open the windows. obviously they will be in a familiar environment but i won't be with them. i will be hiding in the bathroom. o/h will be with them though.

- take them into the bathroom with me. bathroom is next to the bedroom but has a door that can be closed so keeps them in an enclosed space with the window open. eta: they will need to be kept in their carriers in here.

what would you do? would dust and the smell of plaster be stronger downstairs or in the bathroom? bisc is also a snuffle bunny so take this into account.

thank you.

eta: poll added :)

Last edited:
I've had a fair bit of plastering done (walls and ceilings). It can be a little noisy at the beginning (depending on exactly what prep work they do), but it's not particularly smelly. You'll want to keep the window open afterwards anyway to dry it out.

I'd have thought any dust would be worse upstairs than downstairs.

Good luck!

I've had a fair bit of plastering done (walls and ceilings). It can be a little noisy at the beginning (depending on exactly what prep work they do), but it's not particularly smelly. You'll want to keep the window open afterwards anyway to dry it out.

I'd have thought any dust would be worse upstairs than downstairs.

Good luck!

thanks. i think they'll be ok with the noise. don't think bisc can hear particularly well anyway!

it's such a small house that i don't know where would be best in terms of any dust. it's one room downstairs with a spiral staircase going up to one bedroom and a bathroom. so i don't know if it's much different them being down or in the bathroom, even with the bathroom having a door.

aslong as the man keeps the bedroom door closed, then i'm hoping it won't be as bad as i think??

i feel bad abandoning them to go and hide in the bathroom aswell. going to be fun sat in there for an hour and a half!

Bunnies can be tougher than we think.y ou could use a water filled mister to spray the air etc, this can help lower dust in the air. Years ago when i had my two house rabbits our property was beind drilled in the garden by huge machines infilling old mine workings. These machines weighed tons and were noisy, they gave me ear plugs etc. I was so worried about my pair, they didn't bat an eye slobbed around on the carpet as usual.

I really don't remember much in the way of dust either occasion. I had the bedroom ceiling done in the room next door to the piggies without any issues (obviously their door was closed).

thank you both, that's alot of help. i worry so much! but they do always seem to cope better than i expect they will with things.

i think i'll probably leave them where they are then. i think bisc will probably just sleep and the piggies can hide away if they need to. it's usually benjie who is worse with certain sounds and he grumbles about it. but i'll cover over more of their cage for them so that will hopefully help them to feel more secure.

thank you x

They'll be fine, it's not like with painting where it's really smelly and I wouldn't have thought it would be too bad dust wise if you are just having a section done and keep the door closed. I think most plasterers will know people don't want dust everywhere even if they don't have animals so they will try to keep the mess down :)

I went for downstairs (but maybe it's done by now) :) Hopefully they will barely notice and the plasterer will cause as little disruption as possible.

If it was me I'd take my iPad (and a little chair) in with me to pass the time, maybe you can do this x

the pets were all fine... as i'm sure you all knew they would be! o/h said none of them were bothered in the slightest and just got on with things.

the noise wasn't even that much, and not much dust or smell either so all went well. thank you again for the reassurance :)

the man is coming back later to paint it so that will be stronger smelling but with the windows open and door closed it should hopefully be ok :)

Back