• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tummy loud gurgling - normal?

treacletrim

Young Bun
Hello folks, just a random quick one!

Is it normal to hear a bunnies tummy gurgling quite loudly? I understand you should be able to hear gentle gurgling / movement sounds if you put your ear to a buns tum, but on quite a few occasions I've been sat on the settee and can clearly hear Fred's belly loudly gurgling a couple of meters away.

It maybe happens once or twice a week, his poos are good and he is eating well.

As long as he is eating / drinking / pooing well I suppose that's the main thing, but its just startling how loud it can be?!

Frances Harcourt-Brown covered this on her owners lectures last year. Although many vets listen to bunny tummies she doesn't attach much weight to interpreting gut sounds. If as you say Fred eats well & poos normally i'd not worry too much

Frances Harcourt-Brown covered this on her owners lectures last year. Although many vets listen to bunny tummies she doesn't attach much weight to interpreting gut sounds. If as you say Fred eats well & poos normally i'd not worry too much

I agree :thumb:

My Oreo's tummy was rumbling really loudly last week - she was living in the kitchen and so I could easily hear it. It was louder than my tummy rumbles so I was a bit surprised though it didn't seem to be bothering her. I had to take her to the vet for her jabs anyway, prior to taking her off to meet a new boyfriend (hers not mine) so I mentioned it to my vet, and she said it could be due to the fresh grass coming through as it can be richer and lusher than what has been growing over the winter. As Oreo had been inside for about 5 weeks, she hadn't any grass for a while, but as it was grown long enough to cut, I clipped her some and that seemed to cause the noises.

Thank you all! Ah heleni I have been doing the same thing! I've been hoping to get the buns out in the garden soon but didn't want to just put them on the fresh grass, so I've been cutting handfuls for them to have some in the mean time. I wonder if its the same......? Glad it's nothing to worry about anyway. Thanks!

Back