• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Webinar- The Latest on RHD/VHD2 Vaccination- Richard Saunders- 25th April 2016 @ 8pm

Summary is that:

Cunivac is out of stock for the next 9 months or so (was from Germany, and the one that has been used so far)
Cunipravac from Spain is oil based which is likely to cause skin reactions in bunnies and humans and also needs two initial vaccinations 6 weeks apart, and then 6 monthly vaccinations, so doesn’t sounds very practical. Also there’s import certificate hassle with that one
Filavac from France is currently available in 50 vaccination vials, but vials of 5-10 doses should be averrable in May. This one seems the best option.

If there are any cases, they should be reported on https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyxomatosismapfortheUK/ also the bunny should be Post Mortemed - they suggested MSD may pay for the investigation

Apparently a surge in the spread was from a Breeder Show at the end of 2015, and as bunnies either survive, or are ill longer before they die, it’s expected to become the prevalent bunny disease.

I tuned into this webinar too. I hope some Australian vets did also and that they start getting reliable information out to others. We seem to be getting all sorts of info at the moment (mostly facebook) and I'm having my doubts how accurate a lot of it is.

Fingers crossed getting vaccine here won't be as complicated as trying to get the myxo one.

Summary is that:

Cunivac is out of stock for the next 9 months or so (was from Germany, and the one that has been used so far)
Cunipravac from Spain is oil based which is likely to cause skin reactions in bunnies and humans and also needs two initial vaccinations 6 weeks apart, and then 6 monthly vaccinations, so doesn’t sounds very practical. Also there’s import certificate hassle with that one
Filavac from France is currently available in 50 vaccination vials, but vials of 5-10 doses should be averrable in May. This one seems the best option.

If there are any cases, they should be reported on https://www.facebook.com/groups/MyxomatosismapfortheUK/ also the bunny should be Post Mortemed - they suggested MSD may pay for the investigation

Apparently a surge in the spread was from a Breeder Show at the end of 2015, and as bunnies either survive, or are ill longer before they die, it’s expected to become the prevalent bunny disease.

My understanding was that this is NOT available in UK at present - they are working on getting them to produce vials of 5 and 10 doses but at the same time working to get an import licence for it. Otherwise I (and many other vets and rescues)would simply get the 50 dose - as I need 32 anyway .

Yes my understanding is the same as Parsnipbun - there is a SIC now for Cunipravac but it's far from ideal. They are working on a SIC for Filavac and hope to have this soon, and this should be come the preferred option at that point as it has much better data on vaccination frequency/duration (although I don't think he said what it will be) and will be available in vials of 5 or 10. At the moment it's only available in 50 but by the time the SIC is sorted, the smaller vials should also be available thereabouts. It certainly sounds more positive and hopefully there is enough being manufactured to meet demand. I'm so grateful to Richard and others for their hard work on this, it must have been a complete nightmare and a lot of work to get it to this point.

Yes my understanding is the same as Parsnipbun - there is a SIC now for Cunipravac but it's far from ideal. They are working on a SIC for Filavac and hope to have this soon, and this should be come the preferred option at that point as it has much better data on vaccination frequency/duration (although I don't think he said what it will be) and will be available in vials of 5 or 10. At the moment it's only available in 50 but by the time the SIC is sorted, the smaller vials should also be available thereabouts. It certainly sounds more positive and hopefully there is enough being manufactured to meet demand. I'm so grateful to Richard and others for their hard work on this, it must have been a complete nightmare and a lot of work to get it to this point.
Yes! They are to be commended, for certain.

I was surprised that when they ran the survey 6% said their bunnies were vaccinated, I didn't expect it to be anything like that number. I'm intrigued as to how much of the Cunivac actually got into the UK. I said yes they were vaccinated but not all of them are so it wasn't a straight 'yes' as the 3 newer ones aren't as yet.

The news is more positive than I realised, I suppose the webinar was timed as there is something to tell re progress.

My Vet helped out a bit by liaising with the German company as C speaks fluent German. From what I can gather the German Company were completely taken by surprise by the sudden demand for vaccines.

Unfortunately Breeders are importing a lot of Rabbits from Europe now and there are no quarantine regulations it seems. Just what a Breeder may or may not do themselves. They are imported as 'Pets' as often there will just be two or three 'Breeding Stock'.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

IMO the importing of Breeding Stock, regardless of how many Rabbits this may involve, should fall under the 'Business' category which has much more stringent rules

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/overseas-veterinary-certificates-and-border-inspection-posts

Back