• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering and bonding

Clayton is booked in to be neutered very soon and I was wondering whether or not it would be worth getting him a bunny friend given his past experience at the pet store I rescued him from after he has fully recovered. What are your personal experiences like with bonding a fixed male and female pair? I've heard rabbits are a lot harder to bond compared to guinea pigs which I've done multiple times before.

I don't know his history, but if it is that he has fell out with another rabbit before being neutered, after neutering once his hormones have subsided after 6 weeks, it would still be a good idea to look for a friend for him. His behaviour towards other rabbits will likely be very different after neutering. A rescue will have lots of potential friends, and many help with bonding too :thumb:

Bonding rabbits is harder compared to female guinea pigs but there's plenty of resources on here with tips and the majority of us own bonded rabbits so it usually can be done, try having a read of the stickies in the behaviour and bonding section. It would be in his best interests to have a friend so its great you're considering it.

I don't know his past either but may be similar to my jakes in that he had fought with another rabbit before? Jake was taken to pets at home adoption because he'd bitten another rabbits bits leaving the other rabbit needed lots of surgery, they were two unneutered males and Jake has been fine to bond with beano once neutered and all hormones settled.

My Lenny was apparently a 'fighter' - which was why he was rehomed as he kept fighting with the other boy the family had (both unneutered) - we had him neutered and he bonded more or less straight away with Cheyenne who is quite a wee little madam but they adore each other.

It is tricky bonding rabbits - I think most of us find it very stressful - but once done it is so lovely seeing them together, all loved up - and definitely worth the stress. A boy/girl bond is the easiest - provided the girl is spayed of course. I have successfully bonded 4 pairs -the last one Bug and Prudhoe was the most tricky because they both wanted to be dominant and they are both as stubborn as ...well ...rabbits :lol:. I am currently trying to bond two boys - Joey and Bobo - but after a very promising start, they really do not like each other (full on major fighting) and I've given it up for now. But plenty of people have bonding 2 boys and 2 girls...so there you go.

The is loads of advice on here on bonding as well :thumb:

Having just bonded my female Ruby with Benny I can highly recommend it. I had loads of help from the owner of the rescue Benny came from and she actually had them both initially for a couple of days. It can be difficult to bond but it is well worth it.

Clayton is booked in to be neutered very soon and I was wondering whether or not it would be worth getting him a bunny friend given his past experience at the pet store I rescued him from after he has fully recovered. What are your personal experiences like with bonding a fixed male and female pair? I've heard rabbits are a lot harder to bond compared to guinea pigs which I've done multiple times before.

I must have bonded hundreds of pairs of rabbits in the past 20+ years. My own and of the three rescues I work with.

I have never had a male/female pairing to fail x

Back