• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT Help Needed - Anti-biotics For Facial Abscess

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I am hoping for some help finding some antibiotics suitable for a facial abscess (just below the eye). Leo has had the abscess removed in December, February and yesterday. The vet wants to prescribe Penicillin G but their supplier does not have any that we can find. She is happy to write me a written script if I can find some one line but I am finding this impossible. The names I have been looking under (on their suppliers list and on line) are bicillin, duplocillin, durocillin and combipen. If anyone could advise and alterbative or somewhere I can buy these with a written script it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thank you both!

I discussed Crystapen with the nurse but she said that it has to be used within 24 hours once made up.

She will ask the vet about norocillin - it is on their order list!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Thank you both!

I discussed Crystapen with the nurse but she said that it has to be used within 24 hours once made up.

She will ask the vet about norocillin - it is on their order list!

THANK YOU!!!!!

There has been some difficulty obtaining penicillins recently - not sure why!

You mention bicillin - that's not available (or legal) in the UK but I wish it was!

I was going to suggest the same as Jerseygirl - norocillin.

Good luck and so sorry to hear about Leo's abscess :(

I'd suggest purchasing a bottle so you're able to draw up the dose right before giving it. My experience with noricillin is that it's a pain in the butt to give. Lol. It has a tendency to clog in the needle. That may be true of all the injectable penicillins. This is the only one I'm familiar with.

Good luck with the treatment! Facing that with one of my bunnies also.

Last edited:
Thank you all. The vet has ordered something on their system (thanks to everyone's suggestions) and I should be able to collect tomorrow. Fingers crossed there is some stock!

I really appreciate all you help :wave:

Thank you all. The vet has ordered something on their system (thanks to everyone's suggestions) and I should be able to collect tomorrow. Fingers crossed there is some stock!

I really appreciate all you help :wave:

Thinking of you both and hope tomorrow goes well :wave:

Back