• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think my bunny is having a false pregnancy?

Thumper123

Young Bun
Hi, I rehomed a female french lop last year who hasn't been spayed. She has been absolutely fine and settled in great, but a couple of weeks ago we noticed she started humping ALOT....she likes the football size balls in the garden! Didn't think a great deal of it but went to clean her out the other day and her bed was full of fur. Unfortunately I cleaned it out, not realising she'd made a nest (until I mentioned it to a friend). I feel awful for her now!

Anyway, she just seems a little sad - she has the run of the garden and is normally always out, but the last few days she has stayed in her run or hutch. When I go out she'll come to see me, then go back in. She's eating ok - she's not as excited about food as usual, but is eating.

Is there anything I can do to cheer her up? Is it something that will pass in a few days? I've given her lots of straw for bedding/nesting.....I'm unsure whether getting her spayed at her age (she's 6) is the best thing to do? Should I remove the balls that she humps - maybe that's making her worse??

Any advice would be appreciated.

It isn't easy as to whether spaying would be the right thing to do except to say if she was spayed and it was found she had cancer of the uterus, then it could be removed at that time and thus hopefully prolong her life. The Vet would be able to tell you better if she is fit enough to be neutered. It would be nice if she could have a friend, a neutered boy, to keep her company.

It isn't easy as to whether spaying would be the right thing to do except to say if she was spayed and it was found she had cancer of the uterus, then it could be removed at that time and thus hopefully prolong her life. The Vet would be able to tell you better if she is fit enough to be neutered. It would be nice if she could have a friend, a neutered boy, to keep her company.

Thank you. I had a chat with the vet today and she said she would be willing to do it, but obviously there is more risk with her being older. I had also thought about a friend but would that stop her thinking she's pregnant, would she still hump it?

Back