• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female mounting male rabbit ?

suki

New Kit
hi

I have a male and a female rabbit, who are both coming up to a year old. They both had there bits done about 6 months ago, and are the best of pals. To me there is no more obviously dominant rabbit as both are quite different.

Today for the first time the female has been repeatedly trying to mount her brother. He is much bigger so has no problem getting her off.

Any ideas why this would suddenly start ?, no change of environment at all.

thanks

Hello there! Even though they are both neutered, sometimes they act as if they aren't, and as such she is hoping to have babies. The other reason could be he has a health problem and she is taking advantage of this weakness to become the dominant rabbit.

Thanks. Having given this a little more thought, I was going to edit and say that he would usually be the more dominant.

We are not aware of any issues with his health. She has had issues herself in the past which made her the weaker of the two.

Any ideas how long this phase will be likely to last ?

I have a bonded pair; Dunkin (male) and Amber (female). Amber is the dominant rabbit and she used to mount Dunkin for no reason at all. He would just be sitting there sleeping, totally minding his own business and she seemed to think to herself "Hmmm... I have the sudden urge to show him who is boss." :lol: It's a show of dominance. Maybe because there is no clear dominant rabbit her humping is an attempt to be the boss in the relationship?

Back