• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to start?

walsh366

Young Bun
Had a rab Pete aged 2 from a friend who didnt want him any more - he sadly passed away in January aged 5. He was the greatest pet ever, free roamer outside - black mini lop.

I want to adopt a pair now but feel like a rabbit virgin as Pete was Pete and had his own routine, food likes/dislikes etc when we got him.

Have bought a massive 2 storey 6' hutch so ready to go. Local RSPCA has stopped having small animals, local private rescue full of guinea pigs and i'm not buying from a chain shop on principal. Where do I go - take a chance on Gumtree?

Any advice, particularly on starting from scratch on food, 'potty training' would be appreciated - along with where to find them! thanks all x

Last edited:
Just gone on - a few pairs on the rabbit rehome to look at thanks, but only 2 singles on the nibblers one. I hadn't heard of either sites, thanks!

Also several of the rescues will rehome nationally. For instance we live in the South East, but rescued our rabbits from Alice at Windwhistle Warren in Gloucestershire. Home checks can sometimes be arranged at a distance as well as other ways for rescues to assess whether a potential home is suitable. For instance we submitted photographs of our accommodation.

Good luck.

Notts Nibblers is where I got Aboleth from: they seem to have quite a throughput of bunnies. There's also Brinsley Rescue, one in Kirkby-in-Ashfield (if they're still going?), Honeybunnies in Leicestershire ain't far and I considered one from there too :) Fat Fluffs down Birmingham way aren't too far either :)

Gumtree or Preloved have loads of unwanted pairs of rabbits, but if you're fairly new to rabbit keeping I would definitely advise going to a Rescue Centre, for the back up :D

If you're prepared to travel, lots of rescues can organise home checks a great distance away.

Good luck xx

Back