• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benji's not well, help needed! update... eating now!

benjiboom

Warren Scout
Benji was at the emergency vets last night, the vet said he thinks he has a water infection. Last night about 10 pm Benji was in the living room with us, and he was straining to wee, he jerked his head forward and his ears went right back and then he lifted his tail up as if he needed to wee, there was nothing coming out, so we checked his tail area and he had blood on his penis area, he made a grunt noise aswell. , when he was straining to wee. We took him straight to the vets and the vet pressed on his bladder and Benji weed a little, it was very dark brown and the vet said he could see small clots of blood in it! Benji had pain relief and antibiotic injections, and I am giving him antibiotics twice a day until I go to my vets on Monday. Benji is well in himself, he is eating and pooing, he has done some wees today but is still struggling to wee, will this just take time for the antibiotics to work or should i go back to the emergency vet? Like I say he is fine in himself and has enjoyed time in the garden today and is eating and pooing normally. I don't like to see and hear him struggling like this:cry:

Last edited:
sorry to hear about Benji. I'm really sorry but I'm not in a position to offer advice. In your shoes I'd call the emergency vet to see if anything they could offer as an inpatient. Did he get pain relief for at home too?

Benji was at the emergency vets last night, the vet said he thinks he has a water infection. Last night about 10 pm Benji was in the living room with us, and he was straining to wee, he jerked his head forward and his ears went right back and then he lifted his tail up as if he needed to wee, there was nothing coming out, so we checked his tail area and he had blood on his penis area, he made a grunt noise aswell. , when he was straining to wee. We took him straight to the vets and the vet pressed on his bladder and Benji weed a little, it was very dark brown and the vet said he could see small clots of blood in it! Benji had pain relief and antibiotic injections, and I am giving him antibiotics twice a day until I go to my vets on Monday. Benji is well in himself, he is eating and pooing, he has done some wees today but is still struggling to wee, will this just take time for the antibiotics to work or should i go back to the emergency vet? Like I say he is fine in himself and has enjoyed time in the garden today and is eating and pooing normally. I don't like to see and hear him struggling like this:cry:

I would ring the vet and ask for advice.

Yes, it may take this time for the antibiotics to kick in, or the vet may want to administer fluids to dilute any infection and hopefully reduce the pain.

Is he drinking normally? Can you give him wet leafy veg for extra fluid?

So sorry to hear about Benji, and sorry I've only just seen this. You are obviously very worried x

Thanks for your replies, I am going to ring the vets to see what they can advise. Benji is drinking, but less than usual, and he's got metacam for pain relief at home. I have never heard him grunt with pain before:(

Thanks for your replies, I am going to ring the vets to see what they can advise. Benji is drinking, but less than usual, and he's got metacam for pain relief at home. I have never heard him grunt with pain before:(

Poor wee lad :(

Here's hoping for a good update tomorrow x

I hope by now Benji is feeling better. If he is still straining to wee I would get him examined by the Vet again today to make sure he is actually able to urinate and that there is no evidence of a bladder stone or sludge obstructing his urethra and preventing urine from being able to pass out of his bladder.

Straining to wee can also be due to the bladder/urethra going into spasm and there are additional medications that can be prescribed to help with that.

Sorry for my late response, I was not online last night xx

Last edited:
How is Benji doing today?

Hi, sorry for late reply, only just been able to get on here! Benji seems a little better today, he is able to wee but every now and again he struggles for a few minutes, but thats a lot better than yesterday where he was in his litter tray straining every 10 minutes or so! I rang the emergency vets last night and spoke to a nice vet nurse who advised diluting a little pineapple juice in his water as he wasn't drinking as much as I would like him to, anyway I tried it and Benji drank some and then a little while later as he jumped into his litter tray he did a massive wee on the floor, much to his surprise, thank goodness we have a wood floor, mind you I wouldn't have minded I was just glad that he had done a wee:D Thanks for your advice too Jane, I am taking Benji to my vet first thing in the morning , I will let you all know how we get on.

Good news Benji seems more comfortable weeing, i hope you get on ok with the vet today & your boy continues to make progress

Hi, sorry for late reply, only just been able to get on here! Benji seems a little better today, he is able to wee but every now and again he struggles for a few minutes, but thats a lot better than yesterday where he was in his litter tray straining every 10 minutes or so! I rang the emergency vets last night and spoke to a nice vet nurse who advised diluting a little pineapple juice in his water as he wasn't drinking as much as I would like him to, anyway I tried it and Benji drank some and then a little while later as he jumped into his litter tray he did a massive wee on the floor, much to his surprise, thank goodness we have a wood floor, mind you I wouldn't have minded I was just glad that he had done a wee:D Thanks for your advice too Jane, I am taking Benji to my vet first thing in the morning , I will let you all know how we get on.

Good I'm glad he's making some progress!

I hope the vet's visit proves successful :thumb:

Benji has a bladder stone, my vet did x-rays this afternoon, poor boy, no wonder he was struggling:( He has to be at vets at 9.15 in morning to have the stones removed. Please keep him in mind:cry:

Benji has a bladder stone, my vet did x-rays this afternoon, poor boy, no wonder he was struggling:( He has to be at vets at 9.15 in morning to have the stones removed. Please keep him in mind:cry:

Poor lad :cry:

I feared that may be a possibility hence my previous comments

If he is still straining to wee I would get him examined by the Vet again today to make sure he is actually able to urinate and that there is no evidence of a bladder stone or sludge obstructing his urethra and preventing urine from being able to pass out of his bladder.
x

I hope the surgery goes well for him and that he'll soon make a full recovery.

Oh goodness, I did wonder given the symptoms you described. Poor little lad!

Sending many vibes for his vet visit and hugs for you xx

Thanks for the good wishes and vibes, Benji is home now, the stone was removed without any problems, we justhave a very quiet bunny here, keeping him warm,need to get him eating weeing pooping etc ! Any advice about post operation proceedures? :roll:

So glad he's home and the stone gone, poor boy. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Vibes for his continued recovery xx

Thanks for the good wishes and vibes, Benji is home now, the stone was removed without any problems, we justhave a very quiet bunny here, keeping him warm,need to get him eating weeing pooping etc ! Any advice about post operation proceedures? :roll:

Aaah good news :D

Warmth, and pain killers and some delicious food from Mum x

I have got some Ellas kitchen pureed apple with carrot and parsnip, how much is ok to syringe feed him as he hasn't eaten yet? He hasn't moved much since he came home, I think he is still zonked out from the anaesthetic, I have syringed some water already. Has anyone had experience of this with their bunnies? I think I am getting a bit worked up about him! Poor boy must feel awful:(

Back