• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

saying goodbye

wench

Young Bun
I'm looking for some advice....Winston has been ill for a few weeks and losing weight. Unfortunately this morning the vet confirmed he has a massive tumour and has lost more weight. I have therefore made the decision to take him home for a week of being spoiled and no more prodding and medicines, then on Friday have him put to sleep. I am now thinking what is best to do for his bunny wife Crystal.....they are the strongest bonded rabbits I have ever had....real soul mates. I want people's opinions on whether Crystal should be there when Winston is put to sleep? I just dont want her wondering where he has gone and want to do what's best for her to help her understand. The vet has said he doesn't think it's a good idea as it will be traumatic for her but has left the decision up to me. What are people's thoughts? How do I help Crystal say goodbye? Winston is 8, Crystal is 7

First of all I am so sorry that Winston is going to be put down, it sounds absolutely heartbreaking :(
Secondly, I woulnd't have her watch him being put to sleep but I think you may need to show her his body once he has been, that's what we did with out cats.
I hope whatever you decide is the best decsion for you and Crystal.
Good luck
Lots of hugs xx

You know better than anyone what's best for your rabbit. If there's nothing you can do to help him I do believe put him to sleep is the most compassionate decision you could make.
Regarding Crystal... That is going to be tough for her, but once again you know what is best... I really hope everything goes as good as it can go. Best wishes and keep always strong, for you and Crystal. Xx

What a tough decision to have to make regarding Winston, but you have made the right one by the sounds of it.

I think what I would do (as my husband and I discussed this only the other day as we thought we were going to lose Thumper) is bring him home afterwards and leave him with Crystal for a couple of hours so she can smell him, nudge him, realise what's happened, before you take him away. That's what we would have done if Thumper had lost her fight this week.

Wishing you all the very best at this very sad time xx

What a difficult decision for you. Can only agree with advice already given and say I am thinking of you xx

I'm looking for some advice....Winston has been ill for a few weeks and losing weight. Unfortunately this morning the vet confirmed he has a massive tumour and has lost more weight. I have therefore made the decision to take him home for a week of being spoiled and no more prodding and medicines, then on Friday have him put to sleep. I am now thinking what is best to do for his bunny wife Crystal.....they are the strongest bonded rabbits I have ever had....real soul mates. I want people's opinions on whether Crystal should be there when Winston is put to sleep? I just dont want her wondering where he has gone and want to do what's best for her to help her understand. The vet has said he doesn't think it's a good idea as it will be traumatic for her but has left the decision up to me. What are people's thoughts? How do I help Crystal say goodbye? Winston is 8, Crystal is 7

I'm so sorry. I have had to face this many times, and it's never easy.

I always hold my rabbit when they are PTS, so the companion wouldn't be by their side. My preference would be that you went alone with Winston, and then brought him home and left him several hours (or overnight if it seems right) with Crystal.

Thinking of you, and hoping Winston has a lovely quality time with you over the next week xx

Hello, whilst it's nice to hear from you again after so long I am very sorry to hear that it is in such sad circumstances :cry:

With regards to taking Crystal with Winston I think only you can make that judgement call. In such circumstances I always try to do what is best for the specific Rabbits involved. What is 'right' for one pair may not be appropriate for another pair. To know you need to know the individual Rabbits, hence me saying that only you are in the position to know what would be best for Winston and Crystal.

Usually my Vet comes over to my home and the sick Rabbit is gently PTS here in my arms. We then place him/her back with his/her friend until the bereaved friend lets us know that they have said their final goodbye. On one occasion we let two very frail eldely Rabbits pass away together. One was terminally ill and the other had lived with longterm dental disease for years. She was a very, very nervous Rabbit who relied 100% on her friend and she would stop eating if he were out of her sight for more than half an hour. We knew that she could never cope without her soulmate.
They had lived together inseparably for over 10 years. Whilst letting them go together tore at my heart, I know it was the right thing to do for them. But it would not necessarily be 'right' in another similar situation.

I am sure that you will do what is best for both Winston and for Crystal xx

I'm so sorry you are faced with this dilemma. I lost one of my does who was bonded with a Nethie boy, she had bad stasis and couldn't be saved. He did not see her body, I rushed her to the vets when I got home from work (she had been fine when I left, ate breakfast, etc) and was in extremis when I got home. However he did not get on well on his own and went downhill quite quickly, so I got another companion from our Rescue within a week of losing her. I felt bad for 'replacing' her but it was much better for him, he perked up almost straight away when they were introduced. I would get another boy for her as soon as you feel able, I'm sure they deal with loss and grief better than us. Good luck with whatever you decide, I feel for you.

Hello, whilst it's nice to hear from you again after so long I am very sorry to hear that it is in such sad circumstances :cry:

With regards to taking Crystal with Winston I think only you can make that judgement call. In such circumstances I always try to do what is best for the specific Rabbits involved. What is 'right' for one pair may not be appropriate for another pair. To know you need to know the individual Rabbits, hence me saying that only you are in the position to know what would be best for Winston and Crystal.

Usually my Vet comes over to my home and the sick Rabbit is gently PTS here in my arms. We then place him/her back with his/her friend until the bereaved friend lets us know that they have said their final goodbye. On one occasion we let two very frail eldely Rabbits pass away together. One was terminally ill and the other had lived with longterm dental disease for years. She was a very, very nervous Rabbit who relied 100% on her friend and she would stop eating if he were out of her sight for more than half an hour. We knew that she could never cope without her soulmate.
They had lived together inseparably for over 10 years. Whilst letting them go together tore at my heart, I know it was the right thing to do for them. But it would not necessarily be 'right' in another similar situation.

That's a very good idea, particularly if the car journey/visit to the vet stresses the rabbit out anyway. My sister had the vet come to her house when she had her dog pts, it was far less stressful for Holly as she was in her own home environment with no extra unusual noises and no other animals around, which she wasn't used to.

That's a very good idea, particularly if the car journey/visit to the vet stresses the rabbit out anyway. My sister had the vet come to her house when she had her dog pts, it was far less stressful for Holly as she was in her own home environment with no extra unusual noises and no other animals around, which she wasn't used to.

Thank you for all your advice, unfortunately Winston has taken a turn for the worse and I have had to bring things forward. I have an appointment later this morning to have him put to sleep. I will feel guilty later when I have to take him away from Crystal ( they are cuddled together right now) but later I will be putting his body in with Crystal to let her say her own goodbye.

Back