• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit waking under sedation?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Not sure if this should be here or in health really.
Parsley had a dental this morning, his first procedure with my vets. Whilst he was sedated, he suddenly jumped forwards, resulting in soft tissue trauma to the back of his throat as the vet was rasping a tooth at the time. They applied pressure to stop the bleeding and there are no large tears. He's eaten some dandelion leaves and is now home with baytril and loxicom and has a check up booked tomorrow.
The vet phoned me as soon as she had finished the procedure and he was coming round nicely and told me what had happened and described it as a sudden wake up. The ward nurse who discharged him told me that given the risk with bunnies they don't sedate them as deeply as they do cats and dogs. Just wondered if anyone had had any experience of this. I'm seeing the vet who carried out the procedure tomorrow and I do have a lot of faith in her abilities. As I said, just wondering if this was a relatively common occurrence?

Parsley has just wolfed down a handful of dandelion leaves and has hopped up onto the step in their run and is grooming himself, so I think he's recovering well!

Glad to hear he's eating - that's the important thing.

I don't think it's a common occurrence but even great vets can have the occasional problem.

I've not heard of it but it doesn't really surprise me given the way different rabbits recover from GA & it does make sense to keep doses low. Glad he is clearly not too phased by it, brave Parsley

Treacle had a dental last month. The vet told me that she'd caught the side of her tongue, whilst burring down her tooth. She said it had bled quite a bit, but had stopped by the time I'd gone to pick her up. I wonder if that's what happened to her maybe ? Anyway, despite me being worried to death, she was soon eating and was absolutely fine-phew ! Hope Parsley makes a quick recovery xx

Not sure if this should be here or in health really.
Parsley had a dental this morning, his first procedure with my vets. Whilst he was sedated, he suddenly jumped forwards, resulting in soft tissue trauma to the back of his throat as the vet was rasping a tooth at the time. They applied pressure to stop the bleeding and there are no large tears. He's eaten some dandelion leaves and is now home with baytril and loxicom and has a check up booked tomorrow.
The vet phoned me as soon as she had finished the procedure and he was coming round nicely and told me what had happened and described it as a sudden wake up. The ward nurse who discharged him told me that given the risk with bunnies they don't sedate them as deeply as they do cats and dogs. Just wondered if anyone had had any experience of this. I'm seeing the vet who carried out the procedure tomorrow and I do have a lot of faith in her abilities. As I said, just wondering if this was a relatively common occurrence?

Very lucky your vet knew exactly what to do. My vet does conscious dentals, and was explaining what to do in precisely this situation ...

I am so pleased Parsley is OK. It's really very uncommon for this to happen!

Parsley is absolutely fine this morning, running around, eating and trying to nick the food out of Bramble's mouth. I forgot how tricky it can be to give meds as Bramble just takes them and sits there, whereas Parsley is much more of a wrigglebum and tries to turn his head away. Fortunately hubby helped and we managed it, but I have a renewed sympathy for those who struggle to medicate their buns!

We saw the vet this afternoon and all is healing well. Got a final check up on Friday when he finishes his antibiotics. Bramble got cuddles from the vet too!

Glad he's recovering so well :)

It can happen with sedation. Dogs/cats tend to give clear signs of coming round, licking lips is the main one. Rabbits tend to just suddenly wake up. It's not often it'll happen, but I've seen it once before and heard the stories too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Glad he's recovering so well :)

It can happen with sedation. Dogs/cats tend to give clear signs of coming round, licking lips is the main one. Rabbits tend to just suddenly wake up. It's not often it'll happen, but I've seen it once before and heard the stories too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I've seen/heard dogs and cats that have quite easily come round instantly too...dogs suddenly waking up, snap at/bite someone, then drop off straight back to sleep! Don't think it's common but can be difficult to tell if animals are sedated enough.

Back