• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thank you Biscand matt 1

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I just came to look up an old thread, & saw Bisc's recent thread. I'm delighted to see an old bunny friend & that all is going well.

I have never said how much I am indebted to Biscandmatt1 because many years ago you very patiently explained snuffles to me in the early days, when we were still thrashing around for better management. After Thumper passed, I rescued a prepubertal bun, Benjie who had snuffles with 2 abscesses from the start. We weren't very "hopeful".

It's thanks to you Biscandmatt1 that there was no "messing around" & all the emphasis was put on keeping the secretions runny, & draining well.
He's now into his 5th year & takes bisolvon every night. (He almost beats me up for it if I'm a bit late!) He only gets slight eye discharge if something's stressed him out, & then has a saline nebuliser as well. I can't remember when he last had ABx maybe 2-3 years ago.
You only know that I have a snuffles bun because he snores when he sleeps.:oops: Yep I always know whether he's sleeping or pretending!
At night we snore in duet - I snore in base on top of the bed, & Benjie snores in soprano underneath the bed!

You wouldn't believe how often I thank you, (tinged with sadness for Matt) for preparing me to care for a snuffles bun. Well, I can thank you properly tonight.

I just came to look up an old thread, & saw Bisc's recent thread. I'm delighted to see an old bunny friend & that all is going well.

I have never said how much I am indebted to Biscandmatt1 because many years ago you very patiently explained snuffles to me in the early days, when we were still thrashing around for better management. After Thumper passed, I rescued a prepubertal bun, Benjie who had snuffles with 2 abscesses from the start. We weren't very "hopeful".

It's thanks to you Biscandmatt1 that there was no "messing around" & all the emphasis was put on keeping the secretions runny, & draining well.
He's now into his 5th year & takes bisolvon every night. (He almost beats me up for it if I'm a bit late!) He only gets slight eye discharge if something's stressed him out, & then has a saline nebuliser as well. I can't remember when he last had ABx maybe 2-3 years ago.
You only know that I have a snuffles bun because he snores when he sleeps.:oops: Yep I always know whether he's sleeping or pretending!
At night we snore in duet - I snore in base on top of the bed, & Benjie snores in soprano underneath the bed!

You wouldn't believe how often I thank you, (tinged with sadness for Matt) for preparing me to care for a snuffles bun. Well, I can thank you properly tonight.

Hello Judy

How lovely to 'see' you again. Hopefully bm1 will see this thread soon, I am glad that she and the late Matt where able to help you help Benje and that he is doing so well

Many of us learned a lot from you and Thumper too during your long battles with Thumpers GI tract problems.

Oh my...Judy! :D You have no idea how glad I am to see you posting here again! :) I have thought of you so often recently and I have wondered how you and Benjie are doing. :love: Goodness, is he really 5? Where has the time gone?
I'm sure Biscandmatt1 will be along sometime soon and you'll be able to have a catch up. Welcome back to RU, you have been missed! I hope you are well. :love: xxxxx

Judy, it's lovely to see you here again :wave:

I love biscandmatt1 too, and am always thrilled to catch the updates!

I have thought of you too Judy, and wonder how you're doing?

Thank you for all your replies everyone.
I'll start a new thread on general chat to keep you updated about me.

Jack's Jane - thankyou for your comment about GI disorders. I cannot take credit for something which belongs to many people, yourself most of all.
Before I joined RU there was a terrible summer when rabbit after rabbit died from stasis. The credit for getting the medication right especially pain relief & saving innumerable lives, goes to you Jane.
My input together with many, many others, & much off forum discussion was about whether we could help to reduce the frequency & severity of stasis in stasis prone bunnies by simple measures, as our rabbits taught us through their eating preferences. It was the team work human - human, & rabbit - human, which was so very special. This is what opened up a new door. Foraging was reborn having almost died out. Again many very knowledgable people, far more knowledgable than I, contributed towards making plant identification safe for our rabbits.

Biscandmatt1 was very generous in sharing knowledge about medication, & general approach from a top vet with me in the early days. Because I could apply this from the very beginning, Benjie has had a remarkably good & unusually prolonged life. The advice she gave to me is now generally accepted by my good non exotics vets, so all goes smoothly.

Benjie does have some small eating preferences which relate to very minor flare ups. Basically he seeks food which has natural NSAI's in it. However, I feel that it's safer to notice his change in eating habit, & use it to assess whether we need to add NSAI medication to his regime.
For Benjie, stress is a big factor in a flare up (like many stasis prone buns) but Benjie stresses out at the most unusual things eg If I haven't drawn the curtains in winter & he sees the car headlights reflected in the patio doors = stamp & rush upstairs + hide under the bed! Well he was found abandoned in the center of town trying to cross the dual carriage way at rush hour at 5.00pm in early Jan when it was dark! Rabbits have very long memmories.

oh goodness, this made me cry. what a lovely thread to make and i can't tell you how much it was needed at the moment. thank you so much. aw my little snuffly matt. so glad his journey was able to help you. i can't even say how much i still ache missing him.

bisc still snores when he's asleep too!

it's so lovely to hear from you. i think of you often. you have no idea how much you helped me through that time. x

Awww Benjie and car headlights. Awww. They are such sensitive little souls.

I always enjoy your threads. The bond you have with Bejie is wonderful to read about. Welcome back!

oh goodness, this made me cry. what a lovely thread to make and i can't tell you how much it was needed at the moment. thank you so much. aw my little snuffly matt. so glad his journey was able to help you. i can't even say how much i still ache missing him.

bisc still snores when he's asleep too!

it's so lovely to hear from you. i think of you often. you have no idea how much you helped me through that time. x

In honesty, there's still a Thumper shaped hole in my life, & I talk about him quite a lot. I think that we humans are all different too. Perhaps we don't always grieve fully at the time because of all the stress beforehand - I don't know!
I do know that I'm thankful that Benjie is totally different. Oh wow but Thumper was such a handful when he was a baby!!

Back