• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post-Spaying diet questions

spinecho

Warren Scout
Hi,

Just returned from the vets with Clover after she was spayed today.

Clover is a bit drowsy but has already eaten some hay and a carrot (boy, does she love a carrot!!). She has also drunk some water.

The vet gave me a sachet of Recovery Liquid Feed to give to Clover with instructions to feed her this ever 2-3 hours for next 12 hours:

However, the vet who handed-over Clover was not our usual vet (we made sure the usual vet performed Clover's op) and is very foreign; unfortunately I could not really understand what I was supposed to do (my failing!)

As Clover is eating and drinking, do I need to give her the liquid feed, or is it a supplement to her normal food to keep her strength up?

Thanks

Pleased to hear Clover has eaten something so personally I wouldn't worry about the liquid food, she mighr not be interested in her pellets for a day or two but as long as she eats some grass or veg which she is used to, then she will be fine. Did the Vet also give you some Metacam for a couple of days to ease the pain?

If she is eating indepedentally, I would say she is fine going without it. If she shows signs of being off her food, then make it up and use it.

I bought some for Takumi & my poorly bun Elphie, too, but he doesn't appear to need it either. I am using it for Elphie to help with weight gain as she is shockingly underweight. :(

Thanks for the prompt reply tonibun!
Strangely enough I didn't get any pain relief... I did question this, but was told by vet that as Clover had had IV pain relief quite late in day they don't prescribe oral meds. Our boy Cuddles didn't have any post op pain relief.
I was told to keep Clover quiet and not to let her run around, so she's confined to her top hutch with no access to run.

Do you think I need to question the no pain meds?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Some Vets don't send you home with extra pain med but see how she is tomorrow,if she seems uncomfortable I would ask for some - hope you don't live miles away from the Vets! I use 2 Vets, one sends you home with Metacam, the other doesn't, but they should give you some, especially for a female. Hope she recovers well.

Some Vets don't send you home with extra pain med but see how she is tomorrow,if she seems uncomfortable I would ask for some - hope you don't live miles away from the Vets! I use 2 Vets, one sends you home with Metacam, the other doesn't, but they should give you some, especially for a female. Hope she recovers well.

Thanks tonibun.
I'll check on Clover tomorrow; vet's are only 10 mins away, so no worries on that count - they did say to contact them if any problems. Clover's booked in for post-op check on Sunday am.

I was given rescue food too but she said that it was for if she didn't start eating on her own, I had her eating herbs whilst still in the vets waiting for my taxi haha. Sending lots of healing vibes :)

I was given rescue food too but she said that it was for if she didn't start eating on her own, I had her eating herbs whilst still in the vets waiting for my taxi haha. Sending lots of healing vibes :)
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Thanks tonibun.
I'll check on Clover tomorrow; vet's are only 10 mins away, so no worries on that count - they did say to contact them if any problems. Clover's booked in for post-op check on Sunday am.

Good, I hope she doesn't need pain relief, but if she stops eating or looks uncomfortable at least you know you can get some metacam :D

I hope she will be OK xx

Just a quick update....brought Clover's hutch indoors last night as it was getting cold...put hutch in coolest part of house.
This morning she looks livelier and is washing herself.
It didn't look like she'd eaten so I gave her the Recovery food via syringe... That was fun!![emoji23]
She grudgingly ate/drank it!!!
Got a lot on her dewlap and she licked it off!!!!! I am not her favourite person at the moment!!!![emoji2]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Awesome. Sounds as if she might like the recovery. Maybe offer her some in a bowl? Mine like to eat it off a spoon instead of being syringe fed.

She sounds comfortable but keep an eye on her... :)

Personally for me if it looks like she hasn't eaten overnight I would be asking for some pain relief, as this may be why she hasn't eaten.

It's just my personal opinion I guess, but pain relief lasts only 12 hours in rabbits, even the stuff given before they come home (which vets often say lasts 24 hours) does not.

Best of luck to her x

When River was spayed a couple of weeks ago, she was sent home with a bottle of Metacam (as standard - included in the spay price). I gave it to her for about 3 days until she was eating normally again and I was sure she wasn't in any residual pain from the spay.

If she is not eating it might be as she is in pain, so I would ask your vet for some Metacam. Force feeding a bunny with no pain relief isn't ideal :( it's probably the case that if she had some pain relief she would opt to eat by herself anyway.

Good luck

Well...I'm a bit happier...Clover has been munching on some grass I gave her... [emoji2]

Thanks for all replies and help.

Back