• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not always eating cecotrophes

Pip&Milo

Warren Scout
Gee it's like being a new bunny owner all over again. Just when I thought I had it down, Molly has a whole different range of behaviours that I know nothing about!

The other morning my partner and I noticed a small pile of (smelly) cecotrophes in the litter box. I'm presuming it's Molly as she spends a lot of time in there and because we've never had this issue with Milo.
We kept an eye on it and didn't notice it happen again but today I've found another small pile.
I read that I should try to present them to her to eat but she wasn't impressed with me at all! I also read it could be about poor diet but as far as I know we're doing this whole diet thing right?!
They have an egg cup full of pellets in the morning, constant supply to fresh hay and water and a small bowl of veggies on an evening. Every so often they will have a treat of dried herbs/leaves (at the moment its raspberry and plantain leaves) hidden in a box of hay to forrage!

Any advice? I'd hate to think I'm doing something wrong! x

Not hijacking your thread, but how strange, one of my buns has done the same recently, also she's also not been interested in her pellets the last couple of days. She's munching hay as usual and running and binking like a loon! Although she seems to have taken a shine to digging and burying herself in hay (almost like she's nesting) Can the change in season and daylight hours contribute to this?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

No I am sure you won't be doing anything wrong! She has had a change of home maybe this has upset things and maybe slightly different food. I would think this will settle down given time.

Gee it's like being a new bunny owner all over again. Just when I thought I had it down, Molly has a whole different range of behaviours that I know nothing about!

The other morning my partner and I noticed a small pile of (smelly) cecotrophes in the litter box. I'm presuming it's Molly as she spends a lot of time in there and because we've never had this issue with Milo.
We kept an eye on it and didn't notice it happen again but today I've found another small pile.
I read that I should try to present them to her to eat but she wasn't impressed with me at all! I also read it could be about poor diet but as far as I know we're doing this whole diet thing right?!
They have an egg cup full of pellets in the morning, constant supply to fresh hay and water and a small bowl of veggies on an evening. Every so often they will have a treat of dried herbs/leaves (at the moment its raspberry and plantain leaves) hidden in a box of hay to forrage!

Your diet sounds fine to me :) The fact that Milo doesn't have the same issue, suggests to me it's probably more about how Molly handles the diet. I think if it were me I would leave it another few days to see if the problem happens again. If it does, I would cut out the veg, to see if that makes a difference.

Their diet sounds good to me :thumb:

Is that one egg cup full between the two of them?

I should just keep an eye on her and see how it goes. Hopefully it will stop happening and all will be well x

Our girl has always been like this, we have to keep her on a stricter diet than our other bun but no idea why she's like it the vet has sent off samples etc but can't find an actual problem

I had excess cecals with a few of my buns- I cut out veggies entirely but do still give fresh herbs twice a week, and dried herbs daily - also only 1 tablespoon of pellets per day plus the odd treat (fenugreek). I have had no problems since then...some buns are just more sensitive.

I have to be careful what veg I feed Rose otherwise she has excess cecotrophes. As others have said some buns are just more sensitive, Desmond had uneaten cecals for the first few days after he first came home, I think due to stress of moving and slight change in diet as he doesn't have them now.

Back