• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my run: wet ground and fox proofing questions

I am trying to work out the best arrangement for my rabbits' run.

Their hutch will go under the gazebo in my garden (sheltered from the elements and never gets sun on it) and the attached run will sit in an area that has shade most of the day and sunlight in the late afternoon.

My concerns/thoughts are as follows:
1. The are gets very wet when it rains a lot because it doesn't get much sun (no sun in autumn/winter/early spring). At the moment, because it's rained so much it is waterlogged. My run is being custom made so that it attaches to the hutch but also can stand alone. If the ground gets really bad I can move the hutch onto a dry patch/the patio. The hutch can't be moved as it's a double 7x3 foot and I live alone. Am I right to assume that I should avoid the rabbits' having a waterlogged area to exercise in?
2. I am thinking of using patio slabs around the edge of the run to fox proof it a bit more and hopefully try to avoid them digging out. Maybe I will get the whole/part area properly patioed eventually but I want to see what happens when the rabbits come. (They are 5 years old and seem very subdued. I don't know how energetic they'll be and how much they might churn up the grass/mud). Plus I know rabbits like to eat grass and as much as possible I'd like to give them that chance. What I'm wondering, is if I put slabs over the whole area without cementing them down, would they be safe for the rabbits to be on or are they likely to move around and maybe catch their feet?

I've probably made this far wordier than I need to. I've spent ages searching on this site and google and looking at people's suggestions. I do know I don't want to put mesh along the bottom of the run as I want to have the flexibility to move the run should I need to.

Thank you for any thoughts/suggestions.

All of my runs are bolted onto slabs or concrete.
They also have top and bottom bolts on the run door to add to security. Everyone I know who has meshed under their run to predator proof it has ended up having to re-turf it each spring. I grow grass for my buns and they all have digging pits too so I don't feel that they miss out.
As long as the area is perfectly flat and you have a sensible base eg sand over gravel then you may be able to get away without concreting the slabs as they should bed down a little and not move.

Thank you Tabithakat64
How do you bolt the run to the slabs??

Thanks for your suggestions about the sand and gravel
The run I've ordered has strong bolts on the roof and doors.

All my slabs were just put down and have been fine. Also, if the rabbits are spayed they shouldn't be too energetic and it's much better if they can access the run themselves from the hutch, otherwise you will have to pick them up to put them out and bunnies don't tend to like this. They will have a lovely hutch so you won't need to worry about them not having enough space when the weather is bad! :love:

Thanks tonibun.
Yes they are both spayed.
I think what i will do is get some slabs to put around the edge first. If it looks like they will try and dig up the garden i will pave over the rest and get them done dig boxes.
Now to find some cheap slabs. Found some in b&q but they charge £35 delivery. I'd prefer not to have to carry them home in my little motor!!

You can sometimes get them second hand and maybe they will deliver them for you. Rabbits tend to over-graze a small area of grass then it turns to mud so from that point of view it is better to be able to move the run around - this means handling the bunnies, which many don't like. The best way is for hutch and run on slabs so the bunnies can't dig out and you don't end up with mud.

Gumtree or Freecycle might be able to help with slabs :) I've offered mine on there (pickup only as it's 2 deliveries minimum in my little Corsa) but only had one reply at the time, who wanted pictures and that's not going to happen for a bit. I'll try again another time, unless you fancy them?! I'm sometimes in different bits of the country so if you want to PM me then feel free :) It's crazy paving so 'broken' slabs but most of them are pretty substantial.

Our run is also on slabs nowdays. It's easier to clean, dries quicker and is safer (both from predators getting in and buns getting out). For some fresh grass I have several grass trays on the go at a time so I can give them one every few days or so. Since they are fed hay, the fresh grass is more of a treat for them really.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm coming round to getting a larger area patiod to accommodate the hutch and run when my decking is replaced. Mean while i shall get some loose slabs around the edge i think.

You could slab most of it and miss a few slabs out to create grass/mud patches. If you lay mesh under the patches before paving over the slabs will hide the mesh edges and make it completely enclosed.

Back