• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit proofing.

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi so my house rabbit Dexter(got neutered a few weeks ago) gets into everything and chews on everything. I have nowhere to keep my clothes without getting little holes in them(he's an excellent jumper) he pees on the bed and I have nowhere that I can charge things because he manages to get to the chargers and chews them. (He's kept in a bedroom and this is the only room he can stay in,my parents say in my room or outside) So what I'm asking is What is the best way to keep things away from Dexter? Heights generally don't work because the cockatiels go up and chew on it. My wardrobe doors don't close properly so he manages to get in. I'm really not sure what to do. thanks for any replies.

I was going to say perhaps use puppy pen panels, but it looks like you already have them (in your profile photo?).
Give Dexter things that you don't mind him chewing - willow sticks, straw mats etc - and maybe he'll spend energy chewing those instead of the things he shouldn't.

How about under bed storage with lids for your clothes?

good luck, it sounds like you have your hands full :D

The floor is covered in chew toys,he pays attention to them for a day when I bought them and will give the odd chew but doesn't bother much. Apparently clothes are better lol. Yeah I have a few spare. I have a playpen wrapped around my bed to stop him jumping up which works well. The main issue is clothes and anything electrical. I like the underbed storage box idea! I'll try and get a few cheap.

I feel for you. My first bunny was a massive snipper & so was her husband - nothing was sacred. Since those two I've learnt to rely on always being mindful of where I (& visitors) place important stuff & I do think the more I've provided natural chewing material, like forage & twigs, willow mats (& less natural carboard boxes) the less they have taken it out on the house.

Mine only redecorate occasionally now, they never attempt to intercept communications (no cable chewing) & have absolutely no interest in fashion. They have all collaborated to take out the sofa this spring but I can't blame them, it is hideous :lol: I think it sometimes gets better with age. In the meantime secateurs at the ready & forage like crazy. Good luck

Sorry..I'm a slow typer & just seen your reply about loads of chew toys

In fairness to him,he always pees in the litter tray and mostly poos with just a few stray poos. The only place he pees/poos outside is on the bed and he doesn't have access so that's manageable. Shoes can't go on the floor lol I have a pair with big holes in them now. For the clothes I don't want to put away something I'll be wearing everyday(school uniform) which is why I like the storage boxes idea,just for those clothes. I do forage,so far all I have done is Alot of dandelions,and I've dried them. If the weather is nice at the weekend I'm hoping to get nettles,brambles,plantain, hawthorn,apple tree leaves/twigs.

Could you put a hook on the back of your door for clothes you'll need to be accessing on a daily basis... i.e. hang your uniform on the back of the door & use storage boxed for your casual clothes. Just thinking if you have puppy panels around the bed, you might not want to be dismantling that every day to get to your uniform.

You can get cable wrap for your wires, which although won't stop him.. may help give you the time to stop him before its been ruined.
As for if you have any extension leads, then plastic trunking works really well.

Would it also be worth (if you have the room) getting something like this : http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40275846/
You can use the top to store shoes & maybe put some storage boxes for his toys so its easier to rotate them & keep him interested in his toys.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have the playpen arranged in a way that one panel opens like a gate. I like the idea of a hook,that's a great idea. The kallax unit would be good. I'm hoping to replace my wardrobe next year,that uses the space more wisely and also to put the detolf cage on top of. I would love to have him in the living room,but my parents won't let him in there and the heat in the living room is very extreme,the fire is always lit and he would get heatstroke in there.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have the playpen arranged in a way that one panel opens like a gate. I like the idea of a hook,that's a great idea. The kallax unit would be good. I'm hoping to replace my wardrobe next year,that uses the space more wisely and also to put the detolf cage on top of. I would love to have him in the living room,but my parents won't let him in there and the heat in the living room is very extreme,the fire is always lit and he would get heatstroke in there.
Idea do great wardrobe solutions. ( I have one for my room at my parents and can fit literally everything I own in and on top of it) so take a look there first as can design to your needs

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Idea do great wardrobe solutions. ( I have one for my room at my parents and can fit literally everything I own in and on top of it) so take a look there first as can design to your needs

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk
Yes I'm hoping to get something there. I love Ikea I was there for the first time last week,it was amazing! It was my first time there it's 2 hours away. I was hoping not to get a wardrobe at all,as it takes up alot of space but not alot of storage. I want to get something like the kallax with storage boxes.

Back