• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloat or GI Stasis??

LindandRay

Young Bun
My mini lop Napoleon has recurring problems where he sits hunched up, doesn't eat, drink, wee or poo and doesn't want to come out of his cage. He can be like this for a number of hours, but is always fully recovered by the morning. Just lately though it is happening more and more often. I mentioned it to the vet last week when he had his vaccination and she just asked me the usual questions about his routine, diet etc and then no more was said!

He had a bout last Thursday after his vaccination, but as usual was fine in the morning. I am not sure if it was the journey that was stressful for him or the vaccination. However, he had a bout last night as well that last for a very long time. I didn't want to take him to the out of hours vet as I just felt that the journey and them messing him about when he was already unwell would have 'finished him off'. Don't know if I did right or wrong, but my gut instinct said to keep him with me. I nursed him and massaged his sides, but he asked to go back to his cage. I hardly slept all night, but once again he is absolutely fine this morning.

I don't know whether to take him to a rabbit savvy vet which is over an hour away while he is well to get him investigated or not. What should I do??? He is 8 months old.

My mini lop Napoleon has recurring problems where he sits hunched up, doesn't eat, drink, wee or poo and doesn't want to come out of his cage. He can be like this for a number of hours, but is always fully recovered by the morning. Just lately though it is happening more and more often. I mentioned it to the vet last week when he had his vaccination and she just asked me the usual questions about his routine, diet etc and then no more was said!

He had a bout last Thursday after his vaccination, but as usual was fine in the morning. I am not sure if it was the journey that was stressful for him or the vaccination. However, he had a bout last night as well that last for a very long time. I didn't want to take him to the out of hours vet as I just felt that the journey and them messing him about when he was already unwell would have 'finished him off'. Don't know if I did right or wrong, but my gut instinct said to keep him with me. I nursed him and massaged his sides, but he asked to go back to his cage. I hardly slept all night, but once again he is absolutely fine this morning.

I don't know whether to take him to a rabbit savvy vet which is over an hour away while he is well to get him investigated or not. What should I do??? He is 8 months old.

As it's an ongoing problem personally I would definitely want to consult a Rabbit Savvy Vet about it. Especially given the fact that the 'episodes' appear to be getting worse. The problem may be Urinary Tract related (cystitis) rather than GI tract related.

I know I sound like your vet - but what is his diet?
I would want to take him to a rabbit-savvy vet.

He has unlimited hay and a handful of Allen and page pellets twice daily if needed plus greens early evening.

He has unlimited hay and a handful of Allen and page pellets twice daily if needed plus greens early evening.

To me, that sounds a lot of pellets - I only give an eggcupful once a day. I wonder if it would be worth very gradually decreasing the pellets - which should encourage him to eat more hay. As you know, hay should form 80-90% of a rabbit's diet to keep teeth and gut in good order, and they won't eat sufficient hay if they are filling up on pellets.

I would still take him to a rabbit-savvy vet, though.

Thank you. I am thinking of reducing his pellets but scared up upsetting hisn system. His little tummy was so bloated last night. So scared that a trip to vets which is quite a distance away will really upset things. 😕

As this is a recurring issue, I would definitely want a very good vet to run some tests for him. Perhaps the vet who didn't pursue the issue further when you spoke with her is not the one to take this up with?

If you need recommendations (apologies if you already have your own very good vet practice) you could post another thread on here with 'Rabbit savvy vet needed' and your area ... and people will let you know of any reputable and savvy vets around.

It would be worth it from the point of view of protecting his future health and also your own peace of mind :D

I have done that previously and I think the closest one is in Gloucester which is just over an hour away. I will ring them first and chat to them and make an appointment for pay day as it sounds like it could be expensive! !

I have done that previously and I think the closest one is in Gloucester which is just over an hour away. I will ring them first and chat to them and make an appointment for pay day as it sounds like it could be expensive! !

Was it Jason Burgess?

I should ring ahead of time, make sure he will be there (if it's him) and have an early morning appointment (make sure they know you are travelling a long way). Hopefully they can run tests or whatever within the day and you can see the vet in the evening with a way forward.

Yes, a huge undertaking, but hopefully it will spare a lot of heartache in the future for both of you, by identifying the cause.

Do PM if I can help further :wave:

Thank you. I am thinking of reducing his pellets but scared up upsetting hisn system. His little tummy was so bloated last night. So scared that a trip to vets which is quite a distance away will really upset things. ��

I think that gradually reducing his pellets - and thus increasing his hay intake - wouldn't upset his system. The secret is the 'gradually'.

I can understand what you mean about the travelling: my rabbit-savvy vet is about 40 mins away but people travel a couple of hours to see him. It is always a difficult call with rabbits - they can go downhill so quickly.

I just worry about him so much. He is very special to us. All my bunnies are but he is so loving and cuddly that the thought of anything happening to him just doesn't bear thinking about.

I just worry about him so much. He is very special to us. All my bunnies are but he is so loving and cuddly that the thought of anything happening to him just doesn't bear thinking about.

I know, and please don't think about the worst. Just do what you can and try and remain stress free xx

Sending good vibes x

Back