• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infection

Nataliek

New Kit
Hello everyone
Iv recently posted on here when my little boy smokey was very unwell with EC and with all the odds stacked against him pulled through.

Last Tuesday I then find his best friend fudge lying funny in his cage. I also noticed he hadn't touched any water or food. I took him right to the vets as he hadn't passed any poops and I thought as he's shedding he might have been blocked.
After two days he seemed to have gained a head tilt and the side of ear pointing down also had an eye that kept pulling to the side....
I took him back to the vets and she's gave him some antibiotics for an ear infection. Looking at him now it seems as if his eyes are not dilating.
I'm so worried for him. He's eating little bit and drinking very little. His wee is very dark... I'm having such a trouble getting him to take anything in a syringe. He goes mental as soon as I put anything to him face.

I'm such wondering if you all think it's an ear infection ?
As smokey had EC... and I know you can have a head tilt with that. The vet sed if it doesn't get any better to come back and we'll try different antibiotics and an x ray.
It's just been a good couple of days and iv seen no improvement. His head is still very much to the side and he prefers to just lye completely down all day.

Hello everyone
Iv recently posted on here when my little boy smokey was very unwell with EC and with all the odds stacked against him pulled through.

Last Tuesday I then find his best friend fudge lying funny in his cage. I also noticed he hadn't touched any water or food. I took him right to the vets as he hadn't passed any poops and I thought as he's shedding he might have been blocked.
After two days he seemed to have gained a head tilt and the side of ear pointing down also had an eye that kept pulling to the side....
I took him back to the vets and she's gave him some antibiotics for an ear infection. Looking at him now it seems as if his eyes are not dilating.
I'm so worried for him. He's eating little bit and drinking very little. His wee is very dark... I'm having such a trouble getting him to take anything in a syringe. He goes mental as soon as I put anything to him face.

I'm such wondering if you all think it's an ear infection ?
As smokey had EC... and I know you can have a head tilt with that. The vet sed if it doesn't get any better to come back and we'll try different antibiotics and an x ray.
It's just been a good couple of days and iv seen no improvement. His head is still very much to the side and he prefers to just lye completely down all day.

I am sorry to hear that your Rabbits have been/are ill. Personally I would give the Vet a call this morning to seek further advice. Ear infections can be very troublesome to treat and more often than not a 'heavy duty' injectable antibiotic such is Depocilin is needed. An antibiotic like Baytril is seldom useful on it's own. Ear infections can be excruciatingly painful and so as well as a NSAID such as Metacam a stronger type of pain killer may also be needed.

The very concentrated urine is of concern and might indicate dehydration. So your Rabbit may need IV fluids. It may be necessary for him to be hospitalised for a few days to stabilise him with intensive nursing care.

The Vet may feel that giving him a course of Fenbendazole (eg Panacur) is also needed to cover for the possibility of EC involvement. Although Fenbendazole will not 'cure' the neurological symptoms.

These links may be useful to read:

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/diagnosis-of-otitis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits/

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/treatment-of-otitis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits/

The sooner you get back in touch with the Vet the better, good luck xx

I am sorry to hear that your Rabbits have been/are ill. Personally I would give the Vet a call this morning to seek further advice. Ear infections can be very troublesome to treat and more often than not a 'heavy duty' injectable antibiotic such is Depocilin is needed. An antibiotic like Baytril is seldom useful on it's own. Ear infections can be excruciatingly painful and so as well as a NSAID such as Metacam a stronger type of pain killer may also be needed.

The very concentrated urine is of concern and might indicate dehydration. So your Rabbit may need IV fluids. It may be necessary for him to be hospitalised for a few days to stabilise him with intensive nursing care.

The Vet may feel that giving him a course of Fenbendazole (eg Panacur) is also needed to cover for the possibility of EC involvement. Although Fenbendazole will not 'cure' the neurological symptoms.

These links may be useful to read:

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/diagnosis-of-otitis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits/

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/treatment-of-otitis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits/

The sooner you get back in touch with the Vet the better, good luck xx

Thank you very much for the information.
I'm going to call tomorrow morning and see what she says.
Really don't like seeing him like this, just wish he was more like smokey when it comes to medication or water in syringes. Smokey only has to hear me shake the meds and he runs up to me all excited.
It takes me forever to get the meds in fudge and alot gets spat out .... even the vet had trouble 😣

Back