• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Auction on FB in Aid of Macmillan Cancer Support - WT.... ??

It is a private individual organising it in aid of Macmillan. Apparently the charity are now looking into this after complaints from their supporters started coming in. I can't imagine they'd want to be associated with this so publicly!

I'm not on facebook. Was it real bunnies or collectable china or toy ones?

I saw the ad on FB it's real buns donated by 'top breeders in the UK and across Europe'

It's a shocking concept - whatever happened to running a marathon, making craft items etc etc???

I think livestock auctions are considered within the realms of "normal" for shows so to them it's probably just doing what they normally do and helping out a charity at the same time.

It's just for the rest of us it seems completely bizarre :)

Apparently it's a young boy who organised this to raise money as his grandad recently passed away from cancer. He thought he was doing a good thing and although I don't agree with the auction at all, I think it's disgusting that grown adults have been sending this boy death threats! Poor kid.

Apparently it's a young boy who organised this to raise money as his grandad recently passed away from cancer. He thought he was doing a good thing and although I don't agree with the auction at all, I think it's disgusting that grown adults have been sending this boy death threats! Poor kid.

:shock:

That should be reported to the Police :?

What is it with some people and the Internet that means they launch into such hatred and threatening behaviour? Just horrendous that the instigator of this has been targeted. By all means object to what they have proposed, but to target the individual like that is just horrific.

I 100% don't agree with this at all, but am shocked and disgusted by some of the responses :( Why can't people respond in a calm and adult manner rather than having to resort to bullying and threats :(

Don't think it's that "young" a boy, still doesn't condone death threats and personal attacks. But he took the FB page and website down, and alledgely posted this first!

Macmillan Rabbit Auction 2016 Hi everyone. Firstly, to all of the people who are supporting me thank you very much, the website will be closed down and so will this page. A new secret Facebook group has been created for the auction. Now, to all of the other people who have commented and to all of the people who have threatened me, do your research before you comment on anything. Macmillan gave me authorisation to start this auction, and they also gave me authorisation to use their logo. The website and this page will be closed shortly. Honestly in my humble opinion you can all (excuse my language) "F"off. Yours sincerely, George

Thanks again to everyone who got in touch with us yesterday and today expressing concerns about an animal auction taking place in support of Macmillan.

Every year over 100,000 people help raise funds for Macmillan in a wide variety of ways. When we were alerted to the issue yesterday we immediately began to look into it but we needed to take the time to collate the facts. Whilst at first it appeared that we hadn’t had contact with the supporter, he had in fact been in touch with our Fundraising Support Centre so we apologise for any upset or confusion our earlier statement caused.

The organiser of this event is keen to support Macmillan having recently lost his grandfather to cancer. Whilst we’re very grateful for his support, we have been in touch with his family and advised them not to go ahead with the activity. As this is the first time we’ve encountered such an issue we’re going to look further at this kind of event so that we have clear guidelines to follow in future.

We would like to thank this supporter for thinking of Macmillan at what has been a very difficult time for his family. We do not support or condone any of the messages which were sent to him that were unkind or abusive.

We are grateful to all of our supporters who are helping us to make sure no-one faces cancer alone.

Probably the best all-round.

It can't be that young a boy and not someone who has recently passed as the auction has taken place for several years its not a new thing. There was one last year and also 2013. Not sure how many other years.

Back