• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

re - new rabbit litter

Hello, Please can anyone offer advice. We have just purchased a lovely 9 month old rabbit and are trying to litter train him. He is not nuetured but this will be happening in the next few weeks. We have had him a few days and at first restricted him to a small area with a litter tray and bed and he used the litter tra with no problems. We have just started letting him out and he is very good and goes back to his litter tray amazingly well. However after coming out the litter tray some hard poos fall off him onto the carpet. Im not sure if they are fresh or they are just on him from the litter tray. Im using newspaper in his tray as thats what he had before but he was kept in a hutch before. Any advice on better litter that may stop this as Im almost certain he is not pooing oit of his tray but he may be.

:wave:

It will probably be better once he is neutered as he won't need to mark his territory, however rabbits poop hundreds of poops a day so you will probably find the odd few around, mine are all perfectly litter trained but if they get up after falling asleep there is sometimes a little pile of poopers where their bottoms were!
Also when they jump out of the litter trays they do catch poops and they sometimes fling about the place!

What sort of litter tray are you using? I use 32L storage boxes (big and high sided!), lined with newspaper and filled with hay (hay eating =pooping!) so there is less chance of poops escaping but I still do a bit of a sweep to keep it tidy :D

Hi, congratulations on your new fur baby[emoji38]Most bunnies will do the odd poo outside of the tray every now and again, particularly if they are not yet neutered/spayed but this generally doesn't bother most people as they are so easy to pick up that we don't usually say anything about it haha. As he is not neutered yet he could do this more than the average rabbit though as he could be marking his territory.

I can't say I've ever heard of poos falling off of a rabbit unless their fur is particularly long or they just get too impatient to wait until they're done and jump out mid-poo[emoji38]A lot of people put hay on top of the litter tray which also encourages them to eat hay because they like to eat and poop at the same time haha.

I hope that helps a little bit. :)

Thanks for the advice, im using a small high sided cat litter tray. Ive put hay baskets by his litter tray but I will put some in it as well. May need to get a bigger one as he seems to like jumping out of it rather then just walking :lol:.

Even with a high sided litter tray (underbed box) ,y two giants in their spring excitement get poop EVERYWHERE mainly through digging in the tray and then jumping around and flicking it! Luckily, pretty easy to sweep up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back