• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Choosing my rescue rabbits - want to hear your thoughts please!

one rabbit or two

• Get Bluebell the solo rabbit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So, I went to my local RSPCA today to look at a pair of rabbits.
I didn't feel they were the right ones for me and though the RSPCA had bonded them, they didn't really seem to be a strong couple and have very different needs from each other.

I was initially disappointed, but then looked at the others and have narrowed it down to the following:
A lovely doe lionhead 4/5 years old who doesn't like other rabbits so needs to be kept alone. (RSPCA have tried bonding her with several rabbits and it hasn't worked.)
A pair of lionheads 5 years old.
In both cases the rabbits seem quite calm. The pair are used to being handled. The single one has been grieving for a dead mate and not got over it, but was very happy for me to stroke her and twiddle her ears.

I just don't know which to choose because their personalities are the same and so are their ages. It's a case of do I have 1 or 2??

Please, experienced rabbit adopters: what do you think - solo or couple!? I want to make a decision before they get snapped up, but I want to make sure I make the right decision, however long it takes me!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

A resounding vote for the pair as you intend to have outside bunnies. I think bunny hating buns are best kept inside for human company. No rabbit wants to be completely alone Or wait ...see more bunnies elsewhere, some others will melt your heart x

eta the single bunny that is grieving for lost partner is the one who can't be bonded? He may just need more time

Last edited:
Thanks joey&boo.
I must admit I did say to RSPCA that I thought a single bun might be better off in an indoor home but they said not necessarily.
I think if I got her I might be tempted to try bonding her with another bunny myself seeing as the RSPCA don't want to try any more. (She's been very aggressive apparently).
In which case I might as well take the ones that are a couple already, maybe.
Thinking out loud :)

It's always difficult choosing rabbits for someone else :)

My thoughts would be along the same lines as joey&boo's though. I would not want to have a single rabbit outside by herself. In this case also the single rabbit might be difficult to bond with another partner. The bonded pair sound OK. However, I picked up on the fact that the single rabbit you described as "a lovely doe lionhead", whereas the pair are "a pair of lionheads". I think you would know straight away if the pair were right for you. Maybe I would have a good look at other rescues first, before finally deciding. Have you looked at the RIN section here?

Thank you all for your comments.
I'm hoping this link works.
It shows the 2 girls. They are gorgeous chunky rabbits and seem very calm.
You comments have helped me confirm my thoughts - that I want to adopt the couple.
I hope someone who wants an indoor bun will snap Bluebell up very quickly.
http://rspca-brighton.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/image-5.jpeg

Am just emailing Welfare Hutches some questions about the set up I want to get then it's all systems go!
So excited. And now that I've made up my mind I feel much happier!

Thanks again everyone.

I'd say the pair as I think they will struggle to find a home with there being 2 of them and because of their age! A cute single house bun will get snapped up much quicker! xx

ETA: Just read that you've decided on the pair, that's lovely news! Hope they'll be with you soon. :love:

Aww what a beautiful pair of rabbits. Please adopt them and stay on ru for years posting loads of pictures and updates every day. They really are lovely.

The welfare hutch co are great.

Beat of luck with your new sweeties x

Thanks for the extra comments. Yes I did think being 5 years old would stop some people from wanting them. They can live out their retirement years being pampered to death!

I definitely think the pair if you're planning on keeping them outside. I think the solo one would need a home indoors with lots of love from her humans! Also in my (very limited experience) pairs often get left at the rescue for longer than single bunnies!
xxx

Thanks. I'm just making my final decision about what size hutch to order.
Debating 7x3 single v 7x3 double.
Am going to email Welfare Hutches to see what the best price they can do, as my ideal set up will be £1000!
Originally I was going to rescue a pair that contains a blind bunny who had to live in a single hutch.
NOw I don't have that restriction I'm tempted to go for a double!

Thanks. I'm just making my final decision about what size hutch to order.
Debating 7x3 single v 7x3 double.
Am going to email Welfare Hutches to see what the best price they can do, as my ideal set up will be £1000!
Originally I was going to rescue a pair that contains a blind bunny who had to live in a single hutch.
NOw I don't have that restriction I'm tempted to go for a double!

Do you have room for a shed? It would be much cheaper and provide much more space where you can add different levels too! :)

Good luck with finding housing you're happy with and I hope they'll be with you soon :love:

Do you have room for a shed? It would be much cheaper and provide much more space where you can add different levels too! :)

Totally agree with this. A shed is a wonderful place to hang out with your rabbits whatever the weather. You can always put in extras like shelves and ramps to make it even more wonderful.

My quad have an 8 x 6 shed with a 10 x 6 aviary and are sooo easy to care for.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'd love a shed - my Guinea pigs live in my current shed and it is lovely to be able to sit in with them. I don't have the space for a second one unless I tore down a gazebo, which I'm loath to do.

Back