• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of getting Bruce a friend!

brucesmama

New Kit
Hi all , I have a 20 week old mini lop called Bruce. He lives indoors in a large puppy pen and I will be having him neutered when he is old enough. Would also like him to be free roaming but he still poos every where but does wee in his tray, am hoping being neutered may help!
I am thinking about getting him a friend but am not sure how is the best way to go about it. I would like another boy ideally and also love the French lops but don't know if this would work? Also should they both be neutered before trying to bond?
Sorry for all the questions, I am new to rabbits and am trying my best to get things right. Thanks for reading x

Hi all , I have a 20 week old mini lop called Bruce. He lives indoors in a large puppy pen and I will be having him neutered when he is old enough. Would also like him to be free roaming but he still poos every where but does wee in his tray, am hoping being neutered may help!
I am thinking about getting him a friend but am not sure how is the best way to go about it. I would like another boy ideally and also love the French lops but don't know if this would work? Also should they both be neutered before trying to bond?
Sorry for all the questions, I am new to rabbits and am trying my best to get things right. Thanks for reading x
Hello [emoji4]

First of all, does he live in a puppy pen full time? If so, what are the rough measurements of it? Neutering should help him to stop pooing everywhere, it helps most rabbits and it certainly helped with my Storm. (Most rabbits will still do the odd poo outside of the tray though)

Although it is possible, most pairs are best when they are male-female as they are less likely to fight. The bond is also more likely to break as they grow older if it is a same sex pairing and rescue centres will often recommend male-female pairings. Regardless of whether you bond him with a male or a female, it is best if you don't bond them till both have been neutered/spayed for at least six weeks as before that there will be lots of hormones flying around that will almost definitely make them fight.

It would be possible to have a French Lop and Mini Lop together, however I personally would adopt a bunny to bond with Bruce as that way you are not only helping a bunny and freeing up a space for another bunny in need, but you are also saving yourself some money as most of the time they will already be neutered and vaccinated before adoption. (neutering/spaying and vaccinations can cost anywhere between £75-£200 for both!)

I hope that helps, and if you have any other questions then feel free to ask. [emoji4]

Thanks for the reply. The pen is 4ft x 5 and half ft.So you think if I wait till Bruce is neutered then get a ready neutered girl to bond with is the best way to go! ? X

Thanks for the reply. The pen is 4ft x 5 and half ft.So you think if I wait till Bruce is neutered then get a ready neutered girl to bond with is the best way to go! ? X
I hate to say it but that's really not big enough for him to be living in full time. Is there a bigger space that he can live in? Really he needs a minimum of 10ft x 6ft for at least some of the day so he can stretch his legs and run around, otherwise he can get muscle wastage.

Yes I definitely think that would be the best way to go about it. Has Bruce been to see a vet yet? I only ask because he is nearly at the age that he can be neutered and his health will need to be assessed first. [emoji4] x

Yes he has seen the vet the day I had him as I wanted him checked over.All was good and they will neuter at 6 months. I didn't realise his pen was that bad on size and was hoping to have him free range as soon as he is potty trained.

Hello there and welcome. Most Vets will neuter boys from 4 months old so I don't know why your Vet said 6 months. Females are normally spayed at 6 months as it is a more invasive ope ration. When he is neutered you will be able to introduce a little girlfriend tohim, you might be lucky and find a French Lop already spayed at a Rescue, if that is your choice. It is best that both are neutered as females can get broody. 2 boys is a risky step to take as they would probably fall out.

Yes he has seen the vet the day I had him as I wanted him checked over.All was good and they will neuter at 6 months. I didn't realise his pen was that bad on size and was hoping to have him free range as soon as he is potty trained.
Not too long to wait now then [emoji4] Free ranging in a bunny proofed room is definitely the best living option. Is there anything larger you can have him living in before he's able to free range?

Back