• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unusually quiet bunny

My male rabbit, huodini is 2. I put them out in the garden when I got home at 3 and brought them back in around 7. After sorting myself out I went to give them both some greens, he normally eats them straight away, but turned his nose up and the same with other treats, which is not normal. Now he's just laying in the corner looking sad. Any ideas what could be up? Don't think he eat anything other then grass in the garden

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

is he producing any poo's? it sounds like GI statis, please take your bunny to vet asap as it can be fatal, they can examine give pain relief and gut stimulant

A rabbits digestive system is complex and quite sensitive, they need to keep eating to ensure their digestive tract is moving so a rabbit not eating, even for a short period, is always a cause for concern and the rabbit will need to be seen by a vet. I suggest you phone your vets, they should have an out of hours number or it will redirect you, and in the mean time try tempting him with fresh hay and veg/herbs. I hope he picks up soon.

Are they usually out on the grass? New spring grass can affect tummies. If huodini is refusing to eat then he needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. A rabbit not eating is a medical emergency, they can get a condition called gut stasis or bloat which can be fatal. Vets can look for an underlying cause and provide pain relief and gut stimulant by injection and huodini may need syringe feeding to try and keep his guts moving. Bunnies often press their tummies to the ground or sit hunched up when in pain. Being a species that is prey for a lot of animals they try to disguise any illness. I hope he improves but if he's refusing all food then he needs vet help as soon as possible.

Hope you get in okay with the vet and he's back to his lovable self soon.
Yeah went to the vets last night. Think he got spooked by the seagulls and it upset his stomach. A jab and some liquid food last night and this morning. He's running around the house causing mischief, so completely fine. Thanks

Brilliant news., so glad that he's back to normal, they know how to scare us these bunnies. You know if you wanted to share any pics of him with us you could, just saying...:D

Yeah went to the vets last night. Think he got spooked by the seagulls and it upset his stomach. A jab and some liquid food last night and this morning. He's running around the house causing mischief, so completely fine. Thanks

Glad all is well and welcome to RU :wave:

Brilliant news., so glad that he's back to normal, they know how to scare us these bunnies. You know if you wanted to share any pics of him with us you could, just saying...:D
fcfd0e990d04beb66094dd7fe4e0717d.jpg
bf970746b651126c1ee1cae6b2ae243f.jpg

They are beautiful rabbits, and they look like they're being spolit as they should be. Thanks for sharing x

Back