• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Away for a year, what to do with my rabbits?

Hanna

New Kit
Hi guys,

I'm having quite a rough time right now. I have two wonderful buns, but I'm chasing my career and plan on moving to Australia.
The general plan is to be away for about a year from around September onwards. (And I'm definitely not ready to part ways with them and give them away)

I live with my boyfriend in Manchester. He travels with work constantly and wouldn't be able to care for them full time at home.
And none of my friends or family seems eager to step in and take them while I'm away (which breaks my heart a little).

Does anyone know how I could find someone to take them in for a year, and then give them back to me?
Has anyone here ever done it before?
Maybe someone on here could even consider taking two more rabbits in?
General ideas/advice in this **** situation?

I thought about boarding them in my usual boarding place.
But that would be ridiculously expensive, and I'd rather they went to someones home.

I really really really don't want to give them up. They're my babies, and they're only 4 years old and have a lot of living left to do.

Photo of my rascals down below to make this post a bit more cheerful. :(

12417776_10153515917202469_5357198528711588818_n.jpg

12923364_10153515927162469_4824513678500783843_n.jpg

Last edited:
Contact your local boarding place and see if they know anyone experienced willing to do a long term foster. Don't know if the guys at RSPCA Manchester & Salford have any connections for long term foster also??

It's illegal to own rabbits where I'd be moving to. And I wouldn't dare taking rabbits on such a long flight with a sketchy lay over. :(

They are beautiful bunnies. Sorry i can't help but I wish you all the luck in the world with finding them a lovely foster placement.

Hi guys,

I'm having quite a rough time right now. I have two wonderful buns, but I'm chasing my career and plan on moving to Australia.
The general plan is to be away for about a year from around September onwards. (And I'm definitely not ready to part ways with them and give them away)

I live with my boyfriend in Manchester. He travels with work constantly and wouldn't be able to care for them full time at home.
And none of my friends or family seems eager to step in and take them while I'm away (which breaks my heart a little).

Does anyone know how I could find someone to take them in for a year, and then give them back to me?
Has anyone here ever done it before?
Maybe someone on here could even consider taking two more rabbits in?
General ideas/advice in this **** situation?

I thought about boarding them in my usual boarding place.
But that would be ridiculously expensive, and I'd rather they went to someones home.

I really really really don't want to give them up. They're my babies, and they're only 4 years old and have a lot of living left to do.

Photo of my rascals down below to make this post a bit more cheerful. :(

12417776_10153515917202469_5357198528711588818_n.jpg

12923364_10153515927162469_4824513678500783843_n.jpg

If it were me I would make a list and include:

What you'd like for your rabbits in terms of accommodation (e.g. indoors or outdoors/ hutch or free range), and what their feeding needs are.

What you would be prepared to pay in terms of accommodation/food, say on a monthly basis, and how you would pay this.

If you are willing to pay their vaccinations and health needs and how you propose to cover these/reimiburse the boarder.

Once you have an offer to make, perhaps it would be easier to find someone. I don't see anyone readily committing to a year without knowing the ins and outs of how it will work for both parties.

Hope this helps :thumb:

Back