• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homemade Waterproof Cover?

Leigh

Mama Doe
Hi everyone :wave:

Looking to make some kind of waterproof cover but does anyone have a recommended supplier of clear waterproof sheeting? Ideally I would like it to be clear so that bunnies can still see out (and we can see them).

Any ebay suppliers? or I saw someone suggest pond liner, is that clear, I think I've only seen black?

I'd like to make something that will last a few seasons ideally and not need replacing too often :D

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks Bunny Buddy that does look good although slightly more money than I was hoping to pay.... can see the advantage of it though as being UV resistant etc it's probably quite long lasting, perhaps a case of you get what you pay for? (I totally can't sew so tape will have to be used to join things together!)

Does anyone else have anything they have used?

Hi, it might not be what you are looking for at all, but I bought some clear tarpaulin from eBay. It's the kind they use for market stalls and has eyelets. I think I paid around £25. Its quite large and I drape it over my hutch / run and use bungee cord to secure it.

Hope this helps x

Hi, it might not be what you are looking for at all, but I bought some clear tarpaulin from eBay. It's the kind they use for market stalls and has eyelets. I think I paid around £25. Its quite large and I drape it over my hutch / run and use bungee cord to secure it.

Hope this helps x

Hi TheThreeB's :wave:

Do you have a link to the seller? It's always nice to shop with a recommendation :D

What it’s for? Is it to block out the wind and rain getting in to the hutch from the mesh door?
If so could make a Perspex shutter to cover it.
If you’re looking to cover the whole of the hutch I advise against it due to lack of ventilation.

Hi, I'll have to check back as I got it a while ago, and let you know :)

Just wanted to clarify - Currently I have a large hutch with a run underneath (but am upgrading). We have a Scratch and Newton weather cover over the hutch itself, which came with it and I only use the tarpaulin on the top of the run to keep the rain out, but fixed at an angle so the rain runs off. Around the sides I've used some clear shower curtains and hooks, but with a large air gap all the way round x

Disclaimer: obviously I don't know what set up you have, so don't want to advise you wrong :oops:

Hope this helps x

What it’s for? Is it to block out the wind and rain getting in to the hutch from the mesh door?
If so could make a Perspex shutter to cover it.
If you’re looking to cover the whole of the hutch I advise against it due to lack of ventilation.

Thanks Daniel :)

It's just to put over the back and sides in wet weather to help prevent the inside becoming too wet, there is plenty inside for them to scurry into and get some protection if it's windy. In terms of a cover over the mesh panels, it's something we have thought about but not really sure if we will need it yet, i'm sure the hutch leaked somewhere through the wood so it's really more just a tarpaulin to throw over in stormy weather :)

It shouldn't be wet inside, if it is and not coming in by window part then there is a leak somewhere.
If its soaking in from the roof, side or back then it means lack of ventilation so its not drying out.

Its not clear, but I use tarpaulin. I have 2 8ft square tarps that have eyelets in them. I for winter put bubble wrap, polystyrene and old duvets on the roofs off the hutch and then draped the tarp over. Around the top is secured tightly with bungee ropes and then I use red brick to hold the bottom down. Has worked brilliantly. I need to upgrade the hutch so next winter will have to do something different.

My hutch has a sloped corrugated plastic sheet on it. The old run had 1/2 tarpaulin and 1/2 corrugated plastic sheet (to keep rain off but also to prvoide sunshine but also shade). The current run has thin corrugated plastic over the top and part way down the front edge (where the wind and rain generally comes from) with other sides open.

During the Autumn and winter months when it really got windy and rainy i ordered some clear waterproof table cloth fromAmzon (cheap too!) i cut it to size and stapled it to the hutch 'windows' leaving one uncovered for air ventilation. It was waterproof and really easy to cut with a pair of sharp scissors.

Hi sorry I didn't come back before. Glad you are all sorted, that's the one I have I think, from eBay though. Ours is still going strong x

Back