• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit friendly shady rock garden?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I have an empty shady spot and a heap of rocks from around the garden, can anyone recommend any rabbit safe plants for me to make a rock garden please?

Ideally low maintenance evergreens but any ideas would be great!

Thanks [emoji4]

The trouble is most rabbit safe plants will also be eaten if they have access, or do you mean things you can pick and feed? If so some herbs and alpine strawberries might work.

I'm growing some herbs in a raised planter to pick and feed, I'm not too fussed about the rockery plants being nibbled as the buns are only free range when supervised and I'm not after pretty flowers as such, more green ground coverage really.
It may not be doable but worth a go!

What about Campanula? I think it can work on rocky areas - and it's rabbit safe with evergreen leaves - not sure if all do, there's LOADS of varieties. I have had to fence mine off or it would be GONE!

I think I might have Campanula poscharskyana?

Perennial Geraniums are OK for rabbits to nibble. There are loads of varieties and some will be less vigorous and so more suitable for a rock garden. Any of the creeping low-growing Thymes would be OK too. However, neither would last long in my garden if the rabbits found them :).

I've got lemon balm and strawberries. The buns love them and perfectly safe :D

Support both these suggestions as well. All my rabbits like both, especially the Lemon Balm, which spreads nicely and I reckon almost indestructible.

Back