• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden death

Shadow

New Kit
Hi,
I'm new here but really need some helpful advice.
I have had 3 rabbits, two of which were brothers and then we purchased a doe a few months later.
They were all healthy, bouncy bunnies and had them from very young age.
2 yrs on and just before xmas we lost one of the males, went out to feed them to find him laid out stiff and dead.
Both other rabbits were fine, kept an eye on them both and both seemed healthy.
Few weeks ago we noticed the female seemed to be pregnant, felt little lumps inside her and was over the moon.
She has not been eating for few days, only little bits and sitting in litter tray, this morning we woke to find her sitting in her own faeces (diaorrhea), we put her outside in the sun for some fresh air while cleaning her cage.
While she was outside I noticed she laid stretched out and didn't seem to be breathing. I quickly went out and picked her limp body up, brought her back to her cage where she lay gasping and noticed blood around vagina area, I can still feel the babies inside her but her weight has dropped drastically.
covered her with towel and left her to it (in hope she was in labour not dying). kept an eye on her and she died about 10 mins later.
Can anyone please tell me why they die? what am I doing wrong? I'm worried now for the final rabbit :/

Hi and welcome.
I have no advice or experience of such losses, but didn't want to read and run. How awful, so sorry for your loss of your bunnies. Only thing I would say is to take your remaining rabbit to have a through check at the vets asap x

Hi,

I am so sorry for your losses, it must be heart breaking.

Sadly there is no simple answer, it could be anything, fly strike is a big killer, pregnancy in rabbits can be dangerous if they carry for longer than I think 36 days but unsure if that's accurate.
They could have an infection. There are all sorts of resasons, do they have their annual vaccinations?

I hope things get better for you and fingers crossed for your other bunny xx

Thank you for your support and advice, I am going to keep a close eye on the rabbit left.

At the moment that is all you can really do, make sure to check your bunny daily, especially around the bum because if there is any poo or wee on the bunny that is what attracts fies and the horrendous fly strike desease. (I'm not saying you don't already do this or are not keeping them clean but this advise is purely from personal experience). I would make sure their vaccinations are up to date as well just to be on the safe side.

I really hope everything will be okay and your bunny will live a long and happy life xx

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm so sorry for your losses. Sadly without a post mortem you'll never know why it was they died.

With your remaining rabbit, keep vigilant and check often to make sure there's nothing untoward going on. Anything different, and any different behaviour, please take straight to the vet for a check.

If a rabbit doesn't eat, even for a few hours, this is a warning signal :

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits/

I hope everything will remain well for you both x

Back