• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male and Female Rabbits

Julia25

Alpha Buck
Has anyone noticed a difference between male and female rabbits?
Is one messier than the other or produce more of a bad odour?
Do male/female rabbits tend to be more aggressive?

Of course every bunny is different and they all have their different characters, but just wondering if anyone has found differences between owning them.

I read somewhere that a good Buck is the best rabbit you could have - they are clean, bright and cheerful, not moody and feisty like some females, so yes bucks are generally less worry. I do love my females though, I feel more Motherly toward them. :roll:

I'm not sure, in my life I have had 4 rabbits and lived with my father-in-law who had two rabbits.

My first two were both female (Poppy and Tigerlilly) but their personalities were polar opistie. Poppy was very calm, didn't really do much and HATED being picked up, whilst Tigerlilly was bouncy and boystrous (even as a female) and would love to rip up newspaper but liked to be picked up too.

My first rabbit with my fiancee was female (Pixie, who we tragidly lost to fly strike, she was a lionhead), she was a very calm rabbit but would be playful when she had toys, she was easy to catch after being let out the cage.

My rabbit now (Snow Cloud, also a lionhead but a double maned lionhead, Pixie was a single maned lionhead) is extremely playful, bouncy, micheivous and boystrous and a nightmare to catch when being let out the cage! But very cuddly and affectionate.

My father-in-law's two rabbits (Thunder, who sadly passed away and Lightning, a three legged bunny). Thunder was a feisty thing where as Lightining is extremly placid.

My experience comes to this conclusion. It is not based on the rabbits gender or breed, it is down to their individual personality and they are all gorgeous :) xx

Last edited:
Neutering tends to even out most of the traits that are specifically boy/girl as a lot are hormone related e.g. females are more likely to be aggressive towards invasions of their bed area, males to their wider territory, males are more likely to spray etc.

Neutering tends to even out most of the traits that are specifically boy/girl as a lot are hormone related e.g. females are more likely to be aggressive towards invasions of their bed area, males to their wider territory, males are more likely to spray etc.

this :wave:

when I first got rabbits I thought the female was more smellier marking her house and scent glands etc, but after 18years of owning bunnies and since the first bunnies, and neutering/spaying helps a great deal, I have a female now she is very clean

My most loving and friendly rabbit was a female, unspayed one. She was so cuddly and tame. Bless her. Her son was the same. He was castrated. This was back in the 70s when it wasnt routine.

Of my current four the two males are softies and the girls more feisty. They all loathe being stroked or handled!

Back